Broadcast systems Development design and develop solutions critical to BBC News On-air and BBC News Online. We provide graphic, data presentation and automation capabilities for BBC News Studios and television output. Our products are used in many countries permitting field journalists and content creators to upload, search, edit and combine content, from a variety of different sources. We develop and maintain a media asset management system that provisions media movement, using embedded video production tools for our editorial colleagues nationwide and across the globe.
It is a crucial time for our team. We are looking to interface with other systems across the BBC whilst seeking to optimise user experience. Our systems are undergoing exciting architectural transformations into optimal scalable web based products.
Your role will be to develop and maintain test frameworks alongside other test professionals to collectively own the test responsibly. As a part of this role, you will be required to take an innovative approach to address problems in Testing, either through technology, tools or process. We are seeking an individual who is pro-active in presenting ideas to the team and is confident to take the lead rather than wait for direction.
You'll have the opportunity to engage and collaborate with the wider test community across the division and the other areas of the BBC to discuss issues and the latest developments in test.
You'll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other reasonable resources you find necessary to progress as a tester.
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams with product owners, business analysts, designers, developers, architects and testers to design automated integration and regression tests.
- Perform manual exploratory system and regression testing in all environments and across multiple operating systems.
- Pro-actively and continuously expanding on domain knowledge and architecture of the system to best identify test points.
- Contributing to innovative and creative discussions on test process, test tools and procedural improvements.
- Gaining good understanding of various technologies and the ability to develop skills in new technologies, within short periods of time.
- Reporting defects and providing progress reports during the testing cycle.
- Train/coach junior members of the team
Are you the right candidate?
- Hands-on experience of using test automation tools such as Cucumber, Selenium Webdriver
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance criteria for test case design.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Understanding of microservices
- Building bespoke test frameworks around API end points.
- Understanding of web accessibility issues and appropriate methods for testing these.
- Understanding of BDD/TDD.
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools such as Firebug, and to analyse stack traces.
- Excellent career progression : the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities : We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You'll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.