What you'll be doing?
Within the Construction environment, think about buying materials, managing big projects, ensuring health and safety and customer service. At any given time, you'll find us working on some circa 400 developments in both towns and rural areas across the UK, and every one poses unique challenges. Some are from scratch on brownfield sites; others see us adapting existing buildings, like old factories or disused hospitals.
We need people who can bring us fresh ideas and imagination on one hand, and the commercial ability to manage people, budgets and costs on the other. It is testament to the professionalism of our construction teams that for an unprecedented thirteenth year, Site Managers have won more NHBC Pride in the Job Awards than any other housebuilder.
Responsible to the Contracts Manager you will manage the construction of a development, including all associated pre and post housebuilding works, ensuring that targets are met regarding health and safety, delivery to build programme quality, customer care, and cost.
You will be expected to:
What you'll need?
- Ensuring compliance on site at all times to the company health and safety standards and processes, NHBC standards, building regulations, and overall quality standards.
- Co-ordinating labour and resources on site to deliver the build programme on larger developments, and to proactively schedule in trades to ensure optimum delivery.
- Manage material levels on larger site to ensure the minimum amount of stock, but enough to ensure the site programme is met and all labour is efficiently employed.
- Ensuring that all plots are built to the highest standard of quality, complying with the NHBC Standards, Building Regulations, range specifications, and best practice.
- Undertaking company directed quality control procedures and inspections at the correct timings, and rectifying any defects so as not to incur additional cost, time delays to the programme, or reduction in the final quality.
- Monitoring and controlling the cost of production, and approving payment to contractors and trades where appropriate.
- Initiating and attending plot inspections with the Local Building Inspector or NHBC, taking corrective action to ensure a minimum of RI's/BRI's.
- Carrying out toolbox talks or similar on-site briefings to influence, gain commitment, and to drive best practice.
- To have regularly displayed a proactive approach to mitigating risk, to build sequencing, and to overall quality on site.
- Liaising proactively with other internal departments, externals suppliers and partners to ensure the build programme is achieved.
- Working with sales through regular sales/build meetings to ensure a smooth and controlled delivery of homes for customers.
- To deliver a high standard of site presentation at all times.
- Carrying out New Home Tour with the Sales Advisor and customer(s) to give a good demonstration of the home, answering any questions, and rectifying any issues before Legal Completion.
- With the support of the Contracts Manager, ensure that the on-site Construction team is fully resourced and well-directed, with clear guidelines to their own job responsibilities, and are provided with full support in achieving these in terms of communication, training and development, and the organisation of the site's workload and resources.
- Showing a good behavioural example in all aspects of health and safety, organisation, conduct, quality of work, and professionalism.
To be successful in the role, we are looking for:
Our Company and Benefits
- Extensive experience of working to an established build programme and managing key priorities on some challenging sites.
- Proven ability to consistently deliver weekly targets through proactive organisation of the labour force, and promoting a team working ethic.
- Excellent communicator and influencer of people to gain commitment and compliance, and to drive delivery.
- Demonstrated good leadership and assertive skills to ensure optimum delivery to the highest quality standards on site.
- Ability to prioritise tasks proactively to anticipate and meet changing business needs.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong problem-solving ethic, and the ability to get to the route cause of a problem.
- A member of the Chartered Institute of Builders and/or qualified to NVQ level 5 in Construction Management, or a time served tradesman with considerable experience of the full range of construction trades.
- In depth knowledge of all aspects of construction and housebuilding, and the relevant legislative requirements e.g. health and safety, NHBC requirements and Building Regulations.
- A thorough knowledge and well-rounded experience of dealing with customers and potential customers in all aspects, such as the giving of information and advice, resolving any customer issues, confirming company procedures etc.
We've been nationally recognised as a 5 star house builder twelve years in a row for supplying high-quality homes for all generations. That's more than any other major house builder. It's because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals and ex-Armed Forces personnel to come and help us stay one step ahead, and build the homes that Britain needs.
We are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want. We are building a culture where anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, disability, background or any other characteristic, can progress and be proud to work for us.
As part of working for Barratt Developments PLC and specifically for this role we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Single Cover Private Medical Insurance
- Company Car or Cash Allowance
- Annual Medical Health Assessment
- 25 days holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years continuous service up to 28 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies