At Jacobs, we're challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world's most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of approximately 52,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed -today and into tomorrow.
The successful candidate will focus on providing leading materials science capabilities to support our clients in a variety of challenges associated with the immobilisation, storage and disposal of radioactive wastes and nuclear materials, but will also provide, as required, support to other projects in the areas of decommissioning and radioactive waste management. The post offers the opportunity to apply your skills to solving real world problems in the nuclear industry in a customer-focused environment. The vacancy provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to develop their careers in our technically and commercially challenging business.
The candidate will work on a range of experimental and desk-based consultancy projects for customers including owners of radioactive wastes and nuclear materials, both in the UK and overseas. Established client portfolio includes NDA, RWM, SL, Nagra, ONDRAF-NIRAS and SKB. Work includes a variety of activities across the areas of spent fuels, nuclear materials and, more broadly, integrated radioactive waste management, including:
Deploying desk-based and analytical capabilities to assess, rationalise and document solutions for a variety of materials science problems in the field of spent fuels and nuclear materials management and disposal, including definition, design and procurement of R&D programmes.
Leading the production of high-quality technical reports, either as main author or providing supervision to other resources.
Reviewing and assimilating data/information and technical reports produced by other members of the team.
Enabling successful interactions with customers, including presentation of key results and their interpretation in the context of client's needs.
Carrying out business development activities (including competitive bidding) in relevant technical areas.
Carrying out project management and project control activities.
Delivering work to agreed timescales, quality and cost.
Supporting radioactive waste management organisations to assess disposability cases and/or supporting the development of safety cases, with focus on challenges related to corrosion and material science.
Jacobs is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical, project management and commercial capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our companyEssential
- A good first degree (2:1 or better) OR higher degree in a relevant physical science or engineering discipline OR equivalent training/experience.
- PhD in Materials Science OR equivalent working experience.
- Outstanding desk-based analytical skills with focus on materials science, ideally in the field of spent fuels and nuclear materials management and disposal.
- Relevant professional experience demonstrating depth and breadth in technical/scientific skills for a variety of technical challenges across different materials science problems.
- Numerate with excellent technical writing skills, demonstrated by number of publication of technical work in industry reports and/or scientific literature.
- Flexible, innovative and keen to develop client portfolio, including demonstration of previous commercial skills.
- Adaptable, able to work on a number of varied projects at the same time, prioritising as appropriate.
- Able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Enthusiasm to apply skills to the solution of real-world problems.
- We will need to be able to obtain appropriate security clearance.
- Experience of desk-based studies on nuclear materials would be highly desirable
- Experience or understanding of the nuclear industry would be beneficial.
- Potential to develop line management skills would be considered for candidates with suitable experience and ambition
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero' by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.