Senior Java Developer
We're looking for an experienced Java Developer to join our fantastic Backend Engineering team at Which?. It's a pivotal time for Technology at Which? as we drive forward our ambitious transformation programme, putting users at the heart of every product we create evolving our technologies to deliver best in class user experiences. Over the next few years, we will be developing both our commercial and advocacy product offering, trialling new ways of working, driving innovative approaches and introducing cutting edge technology at every opportunity.
Despite the current circumstances we are still actively recruiting for roles. In compliance with UK Government advice relating to COVID-19, this role may initially be remotely based in line with the rest of our workforce and we will supply you with the tools and technologies to enable you to work in this way. During this phase, interviews will likely be conducted over video conferencing technology, e.g. Google Hangouts or similar. What you'll be doing
What's the team like
- Work as part of a dedicated backend team to deliver resilient and scalable APIs in Kotlin/SpringBoot.
- Understand business requirements and deliver clean, tested and maintainable code
- Continually aim to improve technical ability through a combination of pairing and self-directed learning
- Work in an agile environment and contribute to agile ceremonies - standups, refinements and retrospectives.
- Support and mentor other engineers through code reviews and pair programming sessions
- Support and maintain existing products
We are a friendly and supportive team. Sharing knowledge, collaboration and communication are the core team values. We encourage open communication amongst team members; discuss and embrace ideas on their merit. We have been growing and upgrading our backends recently and hope to learn from your experience of working in challenging environments to deliver optimum, well planned out solutions to some interesting problems. What we'll need from you
Positive attitude and willingness to learn and discover new technologies. With the digital transformation, we have some interesting challenges to solve. A proactive problem solver who doesn't mind gathering requirements and business analysis will fit right in. We expect you to be a team player who is happy to discuss and resolve conflicts positively.
On the technical front, we know that you can spot a pesky bug from a mile away, but we also need to see the following experience:
- In-depth knowledge of Spring Boot and must have used in production environments.
- Familiarity with the JVM ecosystem in general.
- Excellent understanding of OO programming techniques and design patterns
- Experience of using GraphQL in a production environment
- Experience and familiarity with the docker ecosystem (e.g. docker-compose)
- Previous experience of TDD using JUnit and Mockk
- Experience in using core development tools such as shell scripting, version control (e.g. Git), CI (e.g. CircleCI, Jenkins)
- Experience using AWS EC2 and Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, SNS/SQS and AWS Lambda.
- Experience of using gradle as a build tool
We'd get really excited if you had experience with:
What we'll offer you
- Terraform or Serverless Framework
We believe in getting the best out of people, and our refurbished modern working environment is relaxed and friendly, including a subsidised canteen with access to its own roof terrace. There are excellent benefits including 28 days annual leave, private healthcare, an excellent pension scheme and the usuals like flexible working, Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loan and Childcare Vouchers etc. We even have a private section of Regent's Park which is handy for hot summers and team building events!
It's a great time to join as we have just launched our new values! Click here to find out what we feel reflects what we do and how we work.
To find out more about this role click on the link to view the job description.
At Which? we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We want to receive applications from all regardless of age, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief, race or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, social economic background etc. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us to understand and create a positive impact for consumers. We want to ensure that everybody can apply and be part of our recruitment processes, and therefore when required we make reasonable adjustments to accommodate our candidates. We're committed to making sure our application process is accessible to everyone who would like to apply for any of our vacancies! Please reach out to [email protected] if you need us to provide an alternative application method to support your accessibility needs.