Want to play a vital role in defence and civil nuclear programmes in the UK, and want to apply cyber security principles to safety-related control & instrumentation systems? Then this is the opportunity for you.
About Jacobs Nuclear:
Jacobs nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors. Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies. What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients andcommitted to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Jacobs provides a range of services in support of safe, available and affordable nuclear propulsion for the current Vanguard Class SSBN fleet and the Trafalgar Class and Astute Class SSN hunter/killer fleets, as well as supporting the design and development of the Dreadnought Class, the next generation of SSBN submarines.
Jacobs is looking for a full time Senior Control and Instrumentation (C&I) Consultant with expertise in cyber security as applied to safety-related control and instrumentation systems, to join our Control, Instrumentation and Electrical (CI&E) team based at Wood's Warrington office in Cheshire. This role provides a diverse and exciting range of opportunities to support the UK submarine programme from concept design through service and refits, to ensure a continuous at-sea deterrent.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Providing formal independent nuclear safety and technical assessment and advice of documents relating to nuclear reactor control and instrumentation (C&I) systems, including cyber security issues, documenting the results in formal letters, and presenting the results to safety and technical committees
- Representing Jacobs at safety and technical meetings with clients and other contractors
- Applying C&I knowledge, skills and experience to other projects being carried out by Jacobs.
- Professional Institution accredited Degree or Post Graduate qualification in a relevant engineering, computing or scientific discipline. C Eng is preferable.
- Experience of developing or reviewing safety critical C&I systems, including issues related to cyber security
- An ability to understand and deliberate on complex technical and safety arguments clearly and concisely, based upon mature knowledge and understanding.
- Developed communication skills both written and oral.
- Good interpersonal skills, to work as part of a team.
- A willingness to travel if required for an individual project.
- A knowledge of submarine propulsions systems or civil nuclear control systems would be an advantage.
- It is essential that anyone interested is, or can be, Security Cleared and is a UK national.
You will have skills and technical experience in some of the following areas:
- Experience of relevant safety standards
- Understanding of nuclear safety case requirements, including knowledge of the Office for Nuclear Regulation's (ONR) Safety Assessment Principles (SAPs) and Technical Assessment Guides (TAGs) would be an advantage
- Experience of working with software used in safety or mission critical applications
What do you get? As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Jacobs:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.