About the Role The Economic and Financial Consulting practice:
In FTI Consulting's Economic and Financial Consulting (EFC) practice, we help our clients navigate legal, regulatory and international arbitration proceedings while supporting strategic decision making and public policy debates around the world. Delivering incisive interpretation of complex economic issues has made us a global leader in this field. Our team includes economists, accountants, valuation professionals, MBAs and econometricians.
We work on varied and challenging assignments across a wide spectrum of industries and contexts. In particular:
The Economics, Econometrics and Disputes team:
- We have significant expertise in the valuation of businesses, intellectual property, financial products, and other assets. We are the leading firm in the provision of expert evidence on valuation issues and the quantification of economic losses before courts and tribunals all around the world.
- We also provide valuation services for commercial, reporting, and regulatory purposes, for example, in the context of licensing, investment appraisal, fiscal valuation, and transfer pricing. In financial services, we develop, review and implement strategies for the management of market and credit risks, liquidity and operational risk, litigation exposure and regulatory compliance.
- In regulated industries, we use economic analysis, econometrics and network modelling to analyse pricing issues and we advise companies and government agencies on the effect of proposed policies.
We have a specialist team that employs economics, statistics/econometrics, financial analysis and data science to projects across these industries and contexts. We are looking to hire two experienced economists with 3-5 years of relevant work experience to work within this team.
We work on both advisory projects and contentious disputes. In particular, we:
- Advise clients on complex and high-profile matters relating to business strategy, government policy and economic regulation; and
- Support parties to a dispute, courts and arbiters in commercial litigation and international arbitration, including by assisting in the preparation of expert reports on matters of liability and damages.
We often work with colleagues across EFC and FTI, to provide economic and econometric analysis in support of other types of projects - so it is desirable that you are also familiar with finance and valuation. What You'll Do
In general, experienced Consultants are involved in the full range of EFC's work and are central to our analysis and report writing. They are expected to be able to take responsibility for research and other gathering of information; managing and carrying out analysis; and reporting the findings in a clear, concise and structured way. They are responsible for the delivery of individual workstreams within projects, working alone or with others, and directing, supervising and reviewing the work of less experienced Consultants. They are centrally involved in analysis and the preparation of formal written reports.
Your responsibilities will include:
How You'll Grow
- Assisting with scoping complex problems;
- Suggesting and designing economic, statistical/econometric and data science analyses capable of addressing those problems;
- Identifying data requirements, and managing the process of collecting and processing that data;
- Implementing and supervising those analyses using the appropriate tools;
- Preparing PowerPoint slides, memorandums and formal written reports;
- Assisting with the presentation and discussion of the results of these analysis with senior members of the team, and directly with clients; and
- Contributing to business development.
We offer a competitive and attractive rewards package, excellent training and development, opportunities to work abroad, and a supportive and friendly environment that will help you to achieve your potential. The skills and experience you will develop with us will stand you in good stead for the rest of your career. Basic Qualifications Required
- A first-class or upper second undergraduate degree AND a masters degree in economics, statistics, econometrics, or computer science, from a university with a reputation for excellence in these subjects;
- A PhD in economics or econometrics or a closely related discipline is desirable, but not required;
- A genuine interest, ability and experience in applying economics, statistics/econometrics and data science to solve complex, unstructured problems;
- A deep and intuitive understanding of the core principles in economics (especially microeconomics), statistics, and econometrics;
- Significant post-graduation professional experience, in a role that requires the direct application of the above subjects. Examples include roles in economic consulting, economic research and policy analysis for a financial institution, government department, industry regulator, regulated firm or think-tank;
- To be able to communicate effectively both orally and in written reports, to explain complex analyses in simple, intuitive, and non-technical terms;
- Some project management/workstream management experience, including managing one or two junior staff;
- Proficiency in Python, R or Stata, or a similar package that can be used for statistical and econometric analysis. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Strong attention to detail; and
- It is desirable that you also have a good understanding of the core principles of finance and accounting (especially in relation to valuation); and an ACA, CFA, or other relevant qualification
#LI-CL1#LI-CL1 Our Benefits
We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including private medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, income protection, flex critical illness cover, 5% employer pension contribution, holiday buy, discounted gym membership, interest free travel loans, paid volunteer hours and corporate matching for charitable donations, and much more. About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 6,000 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America's Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes. For more information, visit www.fticonsulting.com and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.