At EY, you'll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we're counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
We have ambitious and exciting growth plans for our new non-life practice in Bristol (focused on the Retail market) and are looking for the right candidates to join our team. Our new team forms part of a large Consulting (including Life and Pensions actuarial) practice in Bristol which has a strong community and network.
The foundation of the practice is supported by local clients who provide an annuity stream of revenue as well as some of the work currently carried out by our wider non-life focused London team. From this base, the vision is to develop meaningful propositions for clients and help them to solve and address their biggest challenges.
We are growing our team in response to client demand and to support opportunities for the wider EY Insurance and Consulting businesses.
Our UK actuarial practice is a large team with a strong and exciting growth trajectory
- Award winning actuarial team (Insurance ERM Actuarial team of the Year 2021, The Times Actuarial Graduate Employer of Choice 2021).
- Our Actuarial team is seen as the heart beat of the EY Insurance team and key to unlocking new work for the sector - there are opportunities to work alongside other Insurance professionals with different backgrounds to support all client needs.
- The Bristol and Retail growth is a core part of our overall strategy to build on the significant investment for the EY firm on supporting UK Retail. We have hired a new director, and with support from UK leadership, have plans to grow our footprint in this space over the coming years.
- Our Motor and household Seminars provide useful insights and is noted by the retail market as a differentiator.
- Significant opportunity linked to fair pricing, Guidewire implementation, claims and wider analytics.
- EY have a market leading Claims Transformation practice in Retail insurance and the Actuarial team play an integral role in Claims Analytics - from developing claims business cases, setting up claims analytics teams, designing and implementing machine learning models to integrating models with other claims systems.
- We are also onboarding new Retail clients through audit transitions, which gives us access to market insights / key individuals at clients to build relationship and leverage our knowledge to consulting clients.
- This growth is supported by a mature portfolio of annuity SAO / Audit revenue from the wider London based non-life actuarial team.
We place a great focus on our people and offer a great opportunity to learn and develop in a collaborative environment. The opportunity
Your key responsibilities
- This is an opportunity to help shape and build a brand new team whilst still being part of, and having the full support of, a wider actuarial team which has a strong reputation in the market and all the advantages of being part of a "Big 4 firm" with multi-service-line offerings.
- We currently have 4 hires within the team (2 senior and 2 graduates) and you would play a key role in developing a world class team and establishing an excellent working culture with ambitions to grow significantly over the next 2 to 3 years.
- This role offers exceptional opportunities for personal growth and advancement, to develop your wider business knowledge, and to build internal and external relationships across disciplines and across borders.
- Our wider actuarial team has a strong reputation in the market for bringing bespoke offerings to our clients which recognise the uniqueness of our clients' portfolios and needs.
- We have capabilities broader than the conventional actuarial fields of deterministic reserving, capital, pricing and modelling: we also operate as part of wider consultancy projects embracing strategy, risk management, analytics, stochastic reserving, economic capital, capital optimisation, Solvency II and other prudential regime changes.
- We are at the forefront of these areas, with best in the class tools and knowledge, built up over several years. Our business model ensures that:
- Our expertise extends beyond boutique actuarial consultancies;
- We leverage the synergies of being part of broader European and global actuarial teams;
- We enjoy the advantages of being part of "Big 4 firm" multi-service-line offerings; and
- Our people enjoy the benefits of being able to participate in a wide variety of actuarial and insurance work; combining audit, audit-related and non-audit projects with a global client reach.
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Working closely with colleagues, you will create a positive learning culture, and coach and counsel junior team members to help them develop
- Assist in responding to varied client proposals
- Contribute to developing meaningful propositions and thought leadership for clients around their biggest challenges in the market
- Develop strong relationships with your peers across other teams within EY and our clients
- Assist in the technical delivery and reporting for projects, taking ownership of at least one major workstream;
- Liaise with client contacts and help to manage expectations of delivery, content, timescales and cost;
- Present, or assist senior management in presenting, to clients at senior executive and board levels;
- Contribute to projects as a topic / subject matter specialist (where appropriate);
- Consistently contribute to improving operational efficiency on projects and internal initiatives, consistently driving projects to completion, making sure that the work delivered is best in class;
- Play a role in team administration tasks such as feedback, counselling, finance, recruitment, learning, etc.; and
- There will also be an opportunity to work on other assignments within the wider non-life actuarial group.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Successful track record in General Insurance (e.g. motor, household and/or other retail), gained through working for an insurer directly or a top tier consultancy or a specialist financial services consultancy
- Strong academic record including a degree and full (or working towards) professional actuarial qualifications I,e. IFOA or similar
- Experience in at least two of the following areas:
- Independent reserve reviews under different accounting bases for retail general insurance clients
- Reserving process improvement and development work
- Development or review of Solvency II technical provisions and associated processes
- Reserve risk assessment using stochastic techniques
- Links between reserve assessment, pricing, capital, claims and underwriting
- The review of Solvency II internal models and associated processes
- Development of risk management frameworks under Solvency II
- A real desire to work as part of a team in the South West
What we are looking for
- Excellent communication in a range of situations - both written and oral.
- The ability to work with a variety of stakeholders at all levels.
We are looking for candidates who are strong team players and are excited by the opportunity to help us develop and grow a team of high performing consultants in Bristol. We are not necessarily looking for an SME in one particular topic, rather an individual who can be agile and work flexibly on different clients and different engagements.
You'll thrive on being a numerate, rationale thinker with a passion for this field and have very strong attention to detail. What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY
you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a widerange of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new sills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertiseand systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving youthe training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, theexceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible. Join us in building a better working world. Apply now. Who we are
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We striveto achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.Please note:
Prior to finalizing your application, you will be asked to provide personal information across severaldimensions of diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept entirely confidential and will not be used
to evaluate your candidacy.
We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment process holistically and implementactions that promote diversity and inclusiveness. While optional, we encourage you to provide this information to hold us accountable towards our goal of building a better working world. We ask because it matters!