Location: Cheadle, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that's why we offer you the flexibility to do what's important to you; whether that's part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Are you looking for a stimulating and exciting role that contributes to innovation activities in the Maritime Mission Systems business through revolutionary data exploitation and processing techniques? Then, this is the job for you!
As a senior sonar analyst you will have a flexible and proactive approach founded on major programme experience, technical competence, problem solving, teamwork and the ability to create and communicate a vision. You will have the opportunity, as part of the General Sonar Studies senior team, to influence the development of new products, the direction of the research and the strategy of the GSS team.Responsibilities include:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Identify and technically lead the development of compelling, collaborative solutions and associated bid documents for major Customer Funded R&D Programmes.
- Technically lead the delivery of tasks, work packages and projects with a focus on delivery to time, budget and quality.
- As part of wider company activities, lead the technical elements of customer engagement in delegated areas.
- Build trusting, productive and enduring relationships with internal and external General Sonar Studies Customers with aim of delivering future work for the team.
- Work as part of the senior technical team to set the direction for future development including building links to
- wider Thales teams (within export/security limits), academic partners and collaborators (from SMEs to larger partners).
- Lead innovation activities in delegated areas to develop concepts, solutions and ideas to feed into Thales UK's growing research & development programme.
- Technically lead the production and review of reports, presentations and scientific papers to demonstrate and promote innovation internally and externally.
- Undertake a wide variety of tasks, including the development of sonar processing algorithms, development of AI solutions, autonomy, UW Communications, data fusion and tracking algorithms as well as research studies, performance prediction/modelling/synthetic environments and trials planning/execution/analysis.
- Min requirement MSc in Mathematics, Physics or equivalent scientific discipline with significant Algorithm development experience.
- A minimum of 8 years relevant experience in signal processing or algorithm development is essential.
- High level competency in mathematics is essential.
- Evidence of previous experience deploying problem solving capability and the ability to pro-actively work alone or as part of a small team is essential.
- Matlab or equivalent knowledge is essential. Experience in MS Word and PowerPoint essential. Familiarity with a software language such as C/C++ and an understanding of object oriented principles is highly desirable.
- Experience of auto-coding from Matlab to C is desirable.
- Experience of technically leading bids, customer engagement and project delivery is highly desirable.
- Evidence of technical report writing, presentation preparation and generation and presentation/communication skills for papers, seminars, conferences, highly desirable.
Applications are encouraged from all backgrounds including non-defence and non-maritime professionals.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working.
Thales UK is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process. We will provide reasonable adjustments and support to ensure neuro-diverse applicants or those with a disability or long-term condition can be their best during the recruitment process. To request an adjustment, if you need this job advert in an alternative format or if you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Resourcing Ops for mid to senior roles, or the Early Careers Team for graduate and apprentice roles.
Great journeys start here, apply now!