Job Description: We are looking for a nearly or newly qualified Reserving Actuary with non-life industry experience and a focus on insurance, reinsurance, or consulting background in reserving.
Hiscox is currently undergoing a high degree of change as the finance and actuarial transformation project continues, whilst also dealing the forthcoming IFRS 17 accounting changes. We are growing our team to help drive, influence and embed models and processes across finance and reserving to ensure we are the leading Actuarial Function in the market.
The centralised team works across all of Hiscox's extensive and varied portfolios. Hiscox writes business globally, operating three Syndicates at Lloyd's, a Bermudian reinsurance & ILS carrier and has rapidly expanding commercial and retail carriers in the UK, US, Europe and Asia.
With many future areas of growth anticipated, coupled with the role actuaries increasingly have in finance & business transformation activities, this team offers career opportunities as we continue to expand and grow in influence.Why work for us?
This high profile role will provide the opportunity to develop deep analytical, communication and stakeholder management skills that will give you exposure to some of the most senior stakeholders across the business. The role reports directly into the Group Actuary, working closely with the senior actuarial leadership team and the wider business stakeholders that come with it. There will be significant exposure across all of the Group's products, results and reporting, actuarial models and functions outside of reserving. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with the right baseline skillset and ambition to develop a broad Group and market-wide business mindset, deep analytical understanding, use and embed market leading actuarial models and mentor more junior members of the team!
What makes Hiscox unique is that we are a FTSE 250 company with a small company feel. This means your role will be dynamic and you will be a key business partner. As we are growing and embracing transformational change, you will be integral on the journey to shape our future.About you
- Results driven - This role requires a highly results driven individual with energy and determination to succeed in a very fast paced environment.
- Resilience - You will need to be resilient in your approach with stakeholders and thrive in challenging situations that others would shy away from.
- Commercial awareness - A genuine commercial operator: streetwise and a certain toughness of spirit. A genuine interest in the business environment we operate in and commitment to success at Hiscox.
- Problem solving - Very strong analytical ability combined with a pragmatic and logical approach to problem-solving. Ability to think out the box and sometimes work with ambiguity.
- Strategic thinking - Able to think strategically, and be able to translate thinking into tangible plans to drive the business to achieve its agreed goals.
- Communication - Confident communicator with an ability to communicate technical terms to a wider audience, combined with good interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Business partnering with key stakeholders across the business, providing new insights and add-value.
- Working closely with the Group Actuary on a wide range of business initiatives, including:
- Applying appropriate reserving techniques and expert judgment, combined with articulating and documenting key judgments to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Big and small ticket developments to support the team's efficiency and automation, add-value capabilities and regulatory requirements (e.g. IFRS 17)
- Ensure governance and professional standards are met.
- Co-ordinate and have ownership for key Group-wide actuarial reporting requirements and future developments, working closely with our business partners.
- Solvency II equivalent Group-wide technical provision co-ordination, analysis and reporting, working closely with Capital and the finance teams.
- Assisting with material Group-wide assumption reviews and communication to the Group Exec
- Lead on ad hoc requests from management, regulators and auditors as required.
- Manage and review junior analysts' work, providing timely performance feedback and training to ensure high professional standards are met at all times.
- Develop expertise in reserving class knowledge, processes or methodologies.
- Proactively contribute to the design and implementation of enhancements to existing processes and the creation of new reserving modeling tools, reports and processes as part of the finance and actuarial transformation projects. These projects are in the process introducing a market leading suite of reserving tools in 2021 to enable faster delivery of high quality outputs and to enable the reserving team to add insight to business decision making through business partnering.
- Contribute to the growth of intellectual capital within the actuarial department through attendance and participation in professional development initiatives and events, as well as sharing of specialized expertise with other members of the team.
- Support the business unit reserving actuaries with deep dive product reviews. There is longer term opportunity to rotate into a business unit reserving team to specialise in a narrower range of products should this be of interest.
Person Specification: A person in this position should meet the following requirements:
- Minimum 2:1 degree
- Nearly/newly qualified.
- At least three to five years of non-life industry experience with a focus on insurance, reinsurance, or consulting background in reserving.Other desired skills & characteristics
- Intermediate to advanced Excel, Access, VBA capabilities; additional experience with SQL Server, Tyche, ResQ, Tableau, and/or Oracle or similar applications is a plus.
- Experienced reserving knowledge, including Solvency II technical provisions.
- Experience of working in non-reserving functions for breadth of knowledge
- Demonstrable process improvement experience.