Requisition ID: 233966 Requisition Posting End Date: 04/19/2021 JOB PURPOSE
To assist the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of the Hybrid Bill. This requires coordination throughout the organisation, facilitating the assurance of technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants (PSCs) to determine end to end compliance with standards and requirements of the totality of the Phase Two network. ROLE OF DIRECTORATE/DEPARTMENT
The Phase 2b team is responsible for developing the HS2 network for the routes between:
- Crewe and Manchester (plus the connection to the West Coast Mainline at Golborne)
- West Midlands and Leeds via the East Midlands and South Yorkshire (plus the connection to the East Coast Mainline near Church Fenton.
This is a route length of almost 300 km (approximately 1.5 times the length of Phase 1, with two rolling stock depots, an infrastructure maintenance depot and four stations. ACCOUNTABILITIES
REQUIRED CRITERIA SKILLS
- Acts as the interface between HS2 Phase 2B and the Railway Operations Directorate.
- Ensures the Hybrid Bill designs for HS2 Phase Two meets the requirements of the 'end state' railway in terms of operability and reliability.
- Provisions expert technical and engineering input from a railway systems perspective to support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
- Interfaces with the three area teams, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support Civil PSCs in delivering the whole railway system.
- Facilitates the interface between Technical Directorate and the area teams ensuring design development and issues are consistently addressed in the Rail Systems discipline.
- Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks in conjunction with the dedicated risk team.
- Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of designs and produce, interpret and assess specifications, standards and technical reports.
- Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating an approach to problem solving and accuracy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills.
- Communication Skills - including engaging variety of stakeholders through working within a matrix organisation.
- Influencing & Negotiation skills - including to produce effective analysis and negotiate with senior decision makers
- Planning and organisational skills including the ability consult within a matrix environment and delivery work to time, cost and quality requirements deadlines
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve optimal design outputs.
- Knowledge of conventional railway systems and High Speed railway systems including their differences.
- Degree or equivalent in Electrical, Rail or Systems Engineering
- Chartered engineer (or equivalent relevant experience).
The post holder can decide the following:
The following decisions are referred for approval:
- Makes technical and managerial decisions with respect to the review and assessment of engineering design, to ensure consistency and ultimately compliance with standards and regulations. Works to develop guidelines, principles and policies to provide consistency
- Some highly complex decision making may be escalated to Head of Route Engineering, or made collectively with input from Senior Area Engineers or Area Managers.
The Rail Systems team has a budgetary responsibility up to a value of £1million per annum and indirect impact on overall HS2 budget through implementation of railway system requirements.
The Rail Systems Engineer works within the Central Engineering Team providing an essential specialist engineering role. This role involves extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across engineering functions as well as supporting the link between the area teams and Technical Directorate.
Rail Systems work is not allocated in relation to a specific section of the route and instead involves coordination and interface between internal and external third party projects. The role involves regular travel to meetings and events outside the normal place of work, and may require flexible working in order to meet project deadlines. KEY CONTACTS
- HS2 Rail System Ops
- Phase 2B Area Teams
- Phase 2B Central Teams
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Number of interfaces with multiple CDES / PSCs
- Rail Systems is not one discipline but is made up of OCS/traction power/telecoms/signalling/operations/etc. each requiring coordination.
- Large amounts of work around Depots and Railheads
- High percentage of deliverables are high risk (VAP process)
- Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others' health and safety - including those who may be affected by the day-to-day delivery of this role - by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 Safe at Heart programme principles.
- Co-operate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
- Advocate and promote the company's well-being strategy and policies.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we've completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to [email protected]
or call +1-800-749-2372 for assistance. Determinations on request for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Juntos formando el mañana
Bechtel es una de las empresas de ingeniería, construcción y gestión de proyectos más respetadas a nivel mundial. Junto con nuestros clientes, entregamos proyectos emblemáticos que fomentan el progreso y el crecimiento económico a largo plazo. Desde 1898, hemos completado más de 25.000 proyectos extraordinarios en 160 países de los siete continentes. Operamos a través de cuatro unidades de negocios globales: Infraestructura; Nuclear, Seguridad y Medio Ambiente; Petróleo, Gas y Productos Químicos; y Minería y Metales. Nuestra empresa y nuestra cultura se basan en más de un siglo de liderazgo y una adherencia incesante a nuestros valores, cuyo núcleo son la seguridad, la calidad, la ética y la integridad. Estos valores son lo que creemos, lo que esperamos, lo que entregamos y lo que vivimos.
Bechtel es un empleador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades. Todos los postulantes calificados serán considerados para su contratación sin distinción de raza, color, religión, sexo, orientación sexual, identidad y expresión de género, edad, nacionalidad, discapacidad, estado de ciudadanía (según lo autorice la ley), estatus militar, información genética y cualquier otra característica protegida por la ley federal, estatal o local.
Postulantes en situación de discapacidad, que requieran de ajustes razonables para cualquier etapa del proceso de reclutamiento y contratación, pueden enviar su solicitud por correo electrónico a [email protected]
para recibir apoyo. Determinaciones referentes a los requerimientos de ajustes razonables serán revisados caso a caso.