The UK Independence Team, which forms part of the Risk Management (RM) Group of EY UK, currently has a permanent, full-time vacancy for a Risk Management - Independence Manager. This is a great opportunity to join a wonderful and diverse team that is very much central to the firm, at a time of significant regulatory change within the UK audit profession.
Applications are considered for individuals seeking a permanent, full-time role.
Individuals with prior independence, compliance, audit or other relevant regulatory experience are encouraged to apply. Team / Department
Within the professional services environment, appropriate risk management is fundamental to the successful delivery of our client services and promotion and protection of our brand. Within EY, the Independence Team forms part of the Risk Management (RM) Group and reports directly to senior management. There are currently almost 30 members in the Independence Team (including conflicts) and a combined total of well over 100 individuals within RM.
The Independence Team is responsible for ensuring EY UK and Ireland maintain compliance with auditor independence rules and regulations imposed by external regulatory bodies (including the UK Financial Reporting Council, US Securities and Exchange Commission, US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, Irish Auditing & Accounting Supervisory Authority, and the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants) as well as Global EY Independence and related rules applicable to all EY member firms. This includes ensuring that new audit clients and engagements can be accepted by the firm and do not result in an ethical, legal or regulatory conflict. Your key responsibilities
Your day to day responsibilities will be varied and cover a broad spectrum of the activities undertaken by the Independence function expected of a Manager, including at least some of the following:
Skills and attributes for success
- Management/coaching of junior members of the Business Relationship team
- Review and approval of business relationships entered by the firm
- Answering technical Independence queries from the business, and others within the Independence team, with respect to business relationship matters
- Production of reports/analysis for Independence leadership, as required
- Management of Independence detect controls
- Acting as a key Independence point of contact for core areas of the business e.g. Procurement, Finance, Property, Legal
- Conducting due diligence reviews with respect to potential firm acquisitions and alliances
- Conducting business relationship training to the business
- Supporting the UK Independence Leader and Directors on independence related initiatives/campaigns
- Supporting the Independence team with other aspects of Independence e.g. consultations with regards to non-audit services, audit pursuits etc
- Independence professionals with current experience at Manager level. If currently at Senior Associate (or equivalent) level, significant experience at that level and evidence that the individual is ready to step up and act as a Manager
- Experience of managing a team
To qualify for the role you must have
- Individuals with relevant professional qualifications
- A strong working knowledge of the concept of Ethics and Auditor Independence, in particular under the UK FRC Ethical Standard, IESBA Code of Ethics and the US SEC regulations.
- Extensive experience of other financial services related rules and regulations.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Ability to manage and coach junior members of the team
- Strong communicator with colleagues at all levels including delivery of tough messages to senior leaders within the firm
- Ability to build strong working relationships with the business
- Strong analytical and interpretation skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to think strategically and handle complex concepts
- Proactive and capable of working using own initiative
What we look for
- Proven leadership and team management skills
- Adaptable and flexible with good team working skills and the ability to multi-task
Qualifications: What working at EY offers
- Strong project management skills and proficiency at driving projects to a close
- Ability to work to pre-determined deadlines and meet objectives under pressure
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance. About EY
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Please note
Prior to finalizing your application, you will be asked to provide personal information across several dimensions of diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept entirely confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment process holistically and implement actions that promote diversity and inclusiveness. While optional, we encourage you to provide this information to hold us accountable towards our goal of building a better working world. Read more about our commitment to diversity & inclusiveness here
. We ask because it matters! If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible. Join us in building a better working world. Apply now.