Job Title: Project Engineer
If you are an experienced project engineer with experience of technical projects and have a strong drive for achieving excellence in delivery, we are waiting for you to join our team.
If you are technically orientated and looking to build a career towards becoming a professional project manager and with an interest in helping us shape the future of our business, then we'd love you to apply for this role.
Working within Nuclear and Power, Power New Build in Epsom, you'll be helping us to design complex new schemes, assure the longevity and integrity of existing infrastructure and deliver innovative consultancy advice to core clients, critical to the success of the global energy market.
You'll be managing engineering tasks and projects for and on behalf of our clients, or taking responsibility for internal packages of work from your base office in Bristol or from our local clients.
The project engineering opportunities we have are varied in size and nature, and suit a range of project management styles, backgrounds and experience levels. For those looking to build a career in project management these opportunities are likely to involve more joint ventures and design and build style contracts, with significant time spent working at client sites through regular visits or project specific secondments. With that comes the opportunity of personal development and challenges to help the business deliver and integrate larger and more complex projects, whilst ensuring robust risk, change control and commercial management.
You have a 'can-do' approach, are keen to learn and are proven in turning your hand to new challenges and can demonstrate awareness of your own limitations and are not afraid to ask questions.
You are a fantastic communicator and listener who is organised and able to integrate quickly into diverse multi-disciplinary teams. You have an ability to self-motivate, getting the best out of other team members, dealing with conflict, and discussing their enthusiasm about staff development in conjunction with their strong delivery culture.
You are client-, quality-, time- and safety-focused. You can demonstrate a client and / or stakeholder management capability, involving the key consultancy skills of listening, taking a balanced and measured view, and engaging the right people at the right time. You are prepared to deliver projects at client sites through regular visits or project specific secondments during key delivery phases.
You have experience of being involved in either engineering or construction projects, delivering to time, cost, quality and safety, particularly in front end design, and are able to demonstrate your application of project engineering skills, across projects with various technical challenges.
In addition to demonstrating the relevant experience and people skills, you'll also be able to demonstrate the following:
• Degree qualified in a related Engineering or Science based discipline, or hold a professional Project Management related qualification.
• Ideally we are looking for candidates with Nuclear sector experience, particularly those with civil / process / EC&I, plant or safety case nuclear experience. We are looking for first class technical / engineering / construction project engineers with the capacity to learn and develop their skills for the nuclear industry and demonstrate strong consultancy attributes. Construction implementation, plant or manufacturing experience in addition is desirable.
• Ability to support the development of client relationships and to win work, or secure additional funding (as appropriate), through bidding/sales/marketing/presentation.
• How to work and manage work safely on construction sites, including risk assessment techniques.
• Relevant international and national legislation and regulatory philosophies, practice, requirements and guidance for nuclear licensed sites, including the importance of construction quality assurance.
• Relevant construction site tools including testing, sampling and surveying equipment.
• Design philosophy and critical design aspects, supported by experience working on design projects.
• Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.
• Project requirements including balancing time, quality and budget.
• Commercial awareness including construction contract type, terms and conditions.
• Acts as a nuclear professional at all times and supports a positive nuclear safety, security, quality and environmental culture.
• Aware of site and worker culture, and how to adapt behaviours to work safely and effectively.
• Willing to challenge and be challenged to uphold the highest standards of safety and construction assurance.
• Assertive and able to communicate effectively and defend decisions in adversarial environments.
• Aware of roles and responsibilities of different construction site staff and organisations.
Atkins is ranked as one of 'The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For' and as one of the 'The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015'. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers' expectations
We are one of the world's foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you'll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the UK and Europe. There will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience working across all our clients and also for international travel as part of the wider global business.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house , as well as access to external training for all of our staff.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.