One of the largest divisions in the Firm, Operations is the first line of defence for Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being and essential in delivering value to our clients. Operations is responsible for correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating operational risk, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and Automation. Operations has a world-class team of innovative and dedicated professionals, with a unique vantage point in the Firm interacting with all parts of the business, front to back. The Operations Senior Management team are passionate about our people development and providing best in class employee opportunities through an inclusive, forward-looking environment defined by open communication, collaboration, learning, and proactive career management.
Shared Service and Banking Operations delivers industry leading operational solutions by aligning the right functions, people, processes and tools into ten core disciplines offering tailored client service levels that are efficient, controlled and compliant with regulation. Our core disciplines include: Asset Servicing, Cash Management, Client Data Management, Global Banking Services, Loans Servicing, Network Management, Payments (Wireless and Disbursements), Reconciliations, Settlements and Tax Operations.
Role Profile and Responsibilities
We currently have an opportunity to lead the Product Operations team in London. The team is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of Product data for the firm. The candidate will report to the Global Head of Data Operations in Baltimore and will have diverse responsibilities, including but not limited to the following:
1) Managing people including coaching, career development and performance feedback.
2) Prioritising the workload of the team and ensuring that the exceptions identified are managed within tight deadlines.
3) Learning and performing functions in order to be able to manage and perform checking of work performed by team members to ensure the highest standards of accuracy are reached.
4) Acquiring an intricate knowledge of the Firm's product data, flow of the data in the firm systems, impact of poor quality data, building the ability to understand the wider environment and question data integrity.
5) Identifying, defining and coordinating development of rules to monitor the data quality of securities reference data (incl. equities, listed derivatives and fixed-income products and pricing) against external data providers (incl. Bloomberg and Reuters) and direct exchange feeds.
6) Root-cause analysis of exceptions to determine trends in the data, identify inaccuracies in external data providers' feeds and recommend opportunities to increase efficiency and productivity.
7) Identification and implementation of process improvements as well as contributing to the ongoing change projects impacting the team.
8) Analysing and improving processes, identifying and managing risk and guiding the team. As such communication and organisational skills as well as attention to detail and a readiness to escalate issues with a sense of urgency are of importance.
9) Identification, mitigation, escalation and reporting of potential/current risks.
10) Engaging with stakeholders across multiple business units (incl. trading desks, risk, production management, business analysts and IT development) and data vendors (incl. Reuters, Bloomberg and Smartstream) to capture requirements and communicate status on data quality initiatives.
11) Operating as a senior member within the Global Product and Pricing Data Operations management team for Fixed Income, Listed Derivatives and Cash Equity Product Data.
12) Ensuring the team adheres to Firmwide and Operations policies and procedures.
- Finance Graduate ( B.Com/M.Com/MBA in Finance/Equivalent Degree in Finance), or equivalent
- Significant experience in financial services.
- Good understanding of securities reference data (e.g. Fixed Income, Equities, Listed Derivatives).
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to coordinate and efficiently manage people.
Stakeholder management skills.
- Ability to quickly digest new information and learn new businesses and processes.
- Think strategically and provide insight into how to improve existing business and technology processes.
- Result-focused mindset.
- Additional degree in profession courses CFA/CPA/CA will be beneficial.
- Experience of working with remotely located teams and clients.
- Good understanding of external data vendor feeds (e.g. Bloomberg, Reuters).
- Experience of working with large datasets or using Extract Transform and Load (ETL) tools to analyse data
- Ability to work well under pressure, lending control and order to a difficult or pressurized situation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.