Business and Technology Solutions (BTS) provides the IT and Change services for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). As part of the technology organisation at the FCA, we run digital products throughout the organisation. We are passionate about delivering value in a fun collaborative manner and being an influencer at the heart of the global RegTech and FinTech revolutions driving the digital economy. We are in the early stages of our Agile journey and are adapting our ways of working to ensure we can maximise efficiency and serve our customers.
Data & Analytics Product Group (DAPG)
As the size, complexity and the rate of change of our regulatory landscape increases, the FCA is committed through its Data Strategy to harness the power of data and advanced analytics to support our Mission. DAPG's products are a key component of the Data Strategy, enabling the FCA to reduce harm now and in the future by supporting the collection, storage, reporting, analytics and publishing of data. DAPG's products provide access to data across all regulatory divisions and lines of business and are used by regulated firms, the Bank of England and most FCA colleagues.
The Product Architect role sits within DAPG, and is responsible for the overall architecture, including service, for a product group (product roadmap) and quality assurance of architectural decisions, technical designs and other architectural deliverables (e.g. systems engineering document) to ensure alignment to enterprise platform and integration strategies, standards and patterns.What does the role involve / What are the key responsibilities?
Key aspects of the work will include:
- Shaping the relevant product roadmaps which identifies the scope, prioritisation and timeframes for delivery of capability including integration and specification of the products' solution design as well as addressing technical debt
- Producing architectural solutions including technology and service ensuring solutions consider capacity management, ITSCM, security and software licensing requirements, high level outlined architecture to detailed architecture, and where required, high level technical designs that are aligned to enterprise architecture standards, cover any required product group integration and all relevant architecture domains align with enterprise product strategies to meet agreed acceptance / definition of ready criteria
What will the candidate get from the role?
- Review and quality assure artefacts created by external suppliers and internal teams ensuring the quality of the delivered solution to fulfil business and non-functional requirements and adhere to strategic vision for the product group, BTS and FCA.
- Identifying opportunities for product innovation and shape design proposals for taking this forward; driving innovation at a product level where this delivers quick wins and business benefit and is in the boundary of the product roadmap
- Supporting Integration and functional testing to ensure conformance to business acceptance and readiness criteria, identifying and responding to capacity, licensing and security risks, and determining service design outcomes are aligned to the FCA risk appetite.
- Leading contributions to the relevant communities of practice, providing thought leadership, coaching and mentoring of other employees to build the overall business, technical and product architect capability within BTS
- We work in small cross functional, self-organising and autonomous teams, passionate about delivering value and having fun.
- We like to work smart, not long hours.
- We enjoy having a sense of purpose in our job, knowing that we're serving those in need.
- We don't do micro-managing; we hire people because we believe they are brilliant in getting the job done.
- We love diversity.
- We admire and look out for servant leaders who have exceptional critical soft skills.
- We believe in innovation, not prescription
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we will offer an interview to disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidate's CV. Exceptions may apply if due to the volume of applications we are not able to interview all eligible candidates who qualify under the scheme.Minimum:
- Significant experience as a solution architect working in financial services or government / regulatory bodies, with experience of creating strategies, roadmaps and architectural delivery plans, enabling innovation for the relevant products, platforms, systems or components, on large projects (£5M+)
- Significant experience working with formal architectural methodologies and frameworks, including TOGAF, and architecture modelling tools (EA Sparx, RSA etc.)
- Significant experience of working through the end to end project and/or product delivery lifecycle with employees, 3rd party or offshore suppliers following development methodologies (e.g. Prince2, RUP, Scrum, Agile)
- Commercially aware, the ability to understand supplier proposals and promote cost effective solutions
- Relevant solution architecture skills (i.e. Data, Application, and Infrastructure)
- Proven ability to innovate within a product stack whilst ensuring EA adherence
- Proficient knowledge of UML
- Good overall knowledge of a broad range of technology trends and industry standards in providing IT products as services and best practice application / solution / platform architectures
- Experience of managing architectural risk through the project lifecycle and during "run"
About the FCA
- BCS EA, TOGAF or Solution Architecture certificated
- A good understanding of architecting for n-tier applications, Cloud, microservices, working with and helping influence FCA enterprise strategy
- Awareness of FCA teams who use software / platforms / systems within the product group and across other Product Groups where relevant, able to quickly develop an enterprise-wide view of the business, and its challenges.
- Familiarity with, or ability to quickly grasp, the business drivers of the FCA as well as its primary processes
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
The landscape of financial services regulation is constantly changing, impacting the way in which the FCA regulates. Business and Technology Solutions (BTS) enables the FCA to deliver, through the implementation and management of cutting-edge, industry leading technology and digital solutions, used by tens of thousands of firms and millions of consumers across the financial services sector in their interactions with the FCA.
BTS is ambitious, with an established and forward-thinking digital strategy, focused on exploiting cloud technologies, and an operating model recognised as more pioneering than many in the private sector. BTS is actively focused on the professional development of colleagues throughout their careers with us. As a division, BTS is committed to establishing a culture of inclusion that enables diversity to underpin our ways of working.The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.Useful Information
This role is Graded TS D Senior Associate
Salary - £45,000 - £70,000 + Benefits package
For more information, please contact Daniel Dowling - [email protected]
Please note - Cvs sent outside of the portal will not be accepted