We are recruiting for a PrincipalPermanent Way Engineer
to join our Rail business based in Bristol
. About Arcadis:
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what'smost important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll seeit's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring peopletogether, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making animpact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It's a big challenge. And why we need peoplecommitted to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People whovalue different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shapethe future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world- and the world around them.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians.And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills andexpertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and managementservices. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complexchallenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow. AboutThe Role:
The primary focusof this role is to undertake and oversee the production of Permanent Way design/consultancyservices for multidisciplinary infrastructure projects. Specific experience inthe design (concept and detail) of permanent way is required, an underpinningappreciation of surveying, construction and maintenance techniques ispreferable. The role involves the ownership of the technical delivery ofpermanent way projects, offering engineering expertise to internal and externalstakeholders.
The role is amanagement position and will involve the day to day running of a design teamand delivery of Permanent Way engineering deliverables to a wide range of railclients. The successful candidate willalso be required to enhance the team's portfolio of skills and expertise, developingand growing the Permanent Way team in Arcadis' Western and Wales Business Unit,including mentorship of junior team members.
Additionalrequirements of the role will be to support ongoing business development, andoffering technical expertise to support the production of tender documentationfor future works proposals. General Role Requirements:
- Responsiblefor the day to day management of the Permanent Way team.
- Reviewingand understanding of client technical requirements with forward communicationto the design team.
- Indepth knowledge of Permanent Way design for plain line and S&C, including componentry,alignment design and Permanent Way theory.
- UndertakePermanent Way alignment design, gauging analysis and production of supportingdocuments.
- Conceptualand detailed scheme development for mainline, light rail and depot PermanentWay
- Comprehensiveunderstanding of UK rail standards and procedures.
- Practicalapplication of risk reduction measures during the design stages, implementingsafety by design principles through the production of design risk assessments,Hazard logs and active participation in HAZID and HAZOP process.
- Knowledgeof CDM and CSM requirements for rail projects.
- ClientLiaison, managing business critical relationships and communications withexternal and internal stakeholders.
- Attendingand participating in engineering and project management meetings such as, Interdisciplinarydesign checks, progress meetings and design review sessions.
- Supportthe production of tenders for new works, including pricing and technicalmethodology proposals
- Productionand checking of formal design reports to support Permanent Way alignmentproposals
- Progressreporting of Permanent Way design delivery to support financial and budgetary control.
The main responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
In achieving this you will be responsible for:
- Productionof Permanent Way designs and provision of technical support throughout tosupport all stages of the design process (Feasibility through to Construction).
- Actingas CRE (Track) and CEM where appropriate
- Independentlydeliver / manage the production of design deliverables in accordance withclient requirements (i.e. Form A, Form B and For Construction submissions) withsupporting appendices as required.
- OfferPermanent Way expertise to internal and external stakeholders for theintegration of multidisciplinary design projects.
- Superviseand oversee the running of the Permanent Way team. Developing growth of theteam and technical capability of the department.
- Assurecompliance with railway group and company standards
- Implementand ensure team compliance with Arcadis internal company policy and process
Experienceand Qualification Requirements
- Technicalquality of deliverables - undertaking checks of design deliverables completedby members of the team in accordance with company procedures. ,
- Timelydelivery in accordance with design programmes.
- Managepersonal / team budgets and resourcing to achieve financial targets.
- Keep upto date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practicewithin the team environment.
- Experiencein Permanent Way Design, construction and maintenance.
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of PermanentWay throughout the engineering process from project inception to delivery,specifically on Network Rail Infrastructure.
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite andrelevant engineering software packages (Bentley™ RailTrack™, Microstation™,ClearRoute2, SD Calculator).
- Good communication skills and the ability to work withina small team whilst having a dedicated approach to working within and meetingstrict project deadlines
- Good communication skills when dealing with clients,developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery
At Arcadis, you'llhave the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because eachArcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'peoplefirst' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what youwant from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve yourambitions.
Wherever you joinus, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes anattractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being partof a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and anemployee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join yourrelevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexibleworking and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by workingtogether diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovativeideas. Equality,diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life andwe work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age,Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng /IEng) or demonstrable evidence of progression to professional accreditation.
- Recognised engineering qualification orpreferably a degree in Engineering