An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Power Electronics Engineer to join the Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) team in Derby.
This role requires an in-depth knowledge of various types of electrical power conversion solutions including: architecture & switching device selection; detailed design and analysis; design for manufacture and assembly; verification and manufacturing processes are important to the role, as is utilisation of appropriate modelling and design tools. Excellent organisational & communication skills are vital as the role will require working on multiple projects simultaneously, mostly in a technical lead role and involve communicating across, upwards and downwards within the organisation.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is part of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc having a global footprint that supports all our operating sectors of Civil Aerospace, Defence, and Power Systems. Current activities in RRE are focused heavily on turbo-electric propulsion, as well as supporting electrical power generation, energy storage, and electrical power distribution. Projects vary in scope but include concept architecture studies, modelling, simulation, prototype development and with a current focus on full scale product demonstrators (TRL6/7).Key Accountabilities
- Power electronic system and product development including requirements definition, trade studies, design and analysis, and demonstration prototypes through to initial production. Power ranging from a few kW to several MW.
- You will contribute to a wide range of electrical technologies for high integrity, power dense designs including key enabling technologies to facilitate high temperature, harsh environment operation.
- Work with appropriate team members to develop complete power system requirements and solutions.
- Develop, implement and validate power systems and sub-systems operating in both generation and motoring applications, involve AC-AC / AC-DC and DC-DC conversion stages that will connect to a grid and/or other loads
- Produce clear, comprehensive product specifications and performance requirements with input as necessary from mechanical, electrical and systems teams as well as partners and suppliers as appropriate
- Development of control techniques and control algorithms for electric machinery and power electronics.
- Deep understanding of electrical power systems with experience in power electronic converter topologies, controls and product design including switching devices (IGBT, MOSFET, Thyristor) and related power components for various semiconductor types.
- Experienced in the use of system analysis tools such as PSPICE, MATLAB/SIMULINK, Paladin etc.
- Awareness of appropriate national, sector and international design, qualification and certification standards
- Experience in writing technical documents such as: hardware, product design, procurement & test specifications; electrical schematics; and lower-level design details etc.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent. Chartered Engineer status preferred or working towards.
- Significant postgraduate experience in taking power electronic designs into initial production.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation) for both expert and non-expert audiences and ability to meet aggressive reliability, performance, cost, serviceability, and delivery targets
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.Pioneer
the performance of the future. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.Beyond tomorrow.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We're committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we'll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy he re.
At Rolls-Royce we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible Closing date
: 19th August 2019Job Category
Electrical Engineering Posting Date
12 Aug 2019; 00:08