We are recruiting for a Senior Associate to join the Investment Intermediaries & Scams Department here at the FCA.
The department sits within the Consumer Investments Directorate and is responsible for the supervision of over 6000 firms across the Wealth Management, Financial Adviser and Investment-based Crowdfunding portfolios. Our focus is to reduce harm, particularly that arising from unsuitable high-risk investments, pension advice and scams. You will lead the assessment of pension transfer advice and provide technical support and assistance to supervisory colleagues. We are looking for someone with sound judgement and strong analytical, stakeholder management and communication skills who can support other supervisory colleagues to take strong interventions. This role provides a great opportunity to be at the forefront of our supervisory approach.
We are seeking an individual who holdsboth
a relevant level four qualificationand
a pension transfer qualification (e.g.G60/AF3/AF7) to assist with the file review function for the Investment Intermediaries & Scams Department. To support this, you will also need to have recent relevant experience of working with Defined Benefit (DB) pension transfer advice cases. For example, you may have worked on DB pension transfer cases as an adviser, a paraplanner or a file reviewer.
You will have a strong understanding of DB pension transfers, how they operate and the factors to consider when judging whether advice is suitable. Whilst the role is primarily focused on DB pension transfer, pension and investment advice, the successful candidate will also be expected to support the case evaluation teams other functions which are of triage and scoring of reactive cases across the Consumer Investments Division (CI) and handling cases of varying degrees of complexity (both Whistleblowing and non-Whistleblowing).What are the key responsibilities
What will I get from the role?
- Assessing the suitability of pension transfer advice including DB transfer advice.
- Transferring technical knowledge and experience to other supervisors and more junior members of staff
- Considering refinements to our assessment approach ensuring it remains fit for purpose on an ongoing basis
- Providing input to relevant policy initiatives
- Contributing to the development and implementation of pension and investment related projects
- Contributing to the department's case work and managing your own caseload
- Influencing firms to change their conduct and culture to deliver good outcomes for consumers
- Analysing information and data to form views about firms and wider industry issues
- Managing and influencing stakeholders
- Preparing communications to deliver key messages, both internally and externally
This role has the opportunity to provide a positive impact on millions of consumers in a key sector of the UK financial services industry. We are looking for people who are passionate about protecting consumers' interests and driving improvements in how firms conduct their business.
You will obtain a unique insight into the workings of the sector and work with a variety of internal stakeholders, including senior management.
As an Academy business we place great value on your learning and we offer world-class development opportunities which will assist you in achieving your career aspirations. Our Academy offers you a range of opportunities for personal and professional development, including our MSC in financial regulation, Advanced Managers.About youMinimum
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we will offer an interview to disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidate's CV. Exceptions may apply if due to the volume of applications we are not able to interview all eligible candidates who qualify under the scheme.
- RDR compliant level 4 qualification for financial advice and relevant pension transfer specialist qualification (e.g. G60/AF3/AF7);
- Experience of analysing information and making judgements;
- Experience of transferring technical knowledge to help coach and develop other members of staff; and
- Strong written communication skills.
- An up to date understanding of the DB pension transfer, pension and investment environment, including the recent regulatory changes;
- Experience of the advisory process and related documentation needed in respect of Defined Benefit transfer advice
- Proficient in exercising strong and consistent judgements in the face of complex and competing factors;
- Experience of producing and delivering effective oral and written communications and the ability to provide good quality feedback to help the development of others;
- Ability to analyse and summarise information effectively; and
- Experience of liaising with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Curiosity and motivation to continually learn about and investigate a wide variety of issues within the firms and industry we supervise
- A qualification in retirement income planning (e.g. AF8)
- Project management experience
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers
The Consumer Investments directorate is central to the FCA's mission, ensuring consumers are able to make effective investment decisions. Supporting and protecting consumers in this is of growing and critical importance to the UK economy and to good consumer outcomes. Our work directly impacts the standard of living that will be enjoyed by millions of people in their later lives. The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.Useful Information
Please note - Applications must be submitted through our online portal. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.
- This is a permanent role and is graded as a REG C
- The salary range is approximately £46,000 - £60,000, plus a competitive flexible benefits package.
- The role can be based in Edinburgh/London
- Applications for this role close on 26th September 2021
- If you have any questions regarding the role please contact [email protected]