Nuclear Safety Engineer
Our Nuclear and Power business seeks to support the ongoing operation of the current UK nuclear power plants, leading and developing solutions to their most technically demanding challenges.
We are seeking a Nuclear Safety Engineer who wants to contribute to the largest challenges in the nuclear industry, including delivery of the most complex and exciting engineering infrastructure nuclear new build projects.
We need a Nuclear Safety Engineer who wants to work within our exciting project environments, making a strong personal contribution to our growing and expanding business. You will want to deliver - for the client, for the business and for yourself.
This could be the ideal opportunity for you to join the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we'd love you to apply for this role.About the Team
You will join our Nuclear and Power business in Warrington, whilst collaborating with our UK and international teams, giving you an ability to make a difference by being involved in some fantastic projects. From our office you will be involved in developing innovative, practical solutions for our clients across the UK and further afield. By joining the vibrant Nuclear and Power Business, you will have the opportunity to work across the whole nuclear market from Decommissioning to Generation to Nuclear New Build. What you'll be doing
You will be providing safety case advice during the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and for the production of all nuclear safety documentation as part of the Site Licence Conditions. Although you are not expected to have experience in all the areas listed below, the typical documents you should have some experience in authoring include:
You'll need to have
- Hazard/fault identification studies e.g. HAZOP, FMEA, etc;
- Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard Assessments;
- Radiological Hazard Assessments;
- Probabilistic Safety Assessments;
- Safety Case preparation (e.g. Engineering Changes, Preliminary Safety Reports, Pre-Construction Safety Reports, Licence Summary Statements etc.);
- Support to Engineering Substantiation studies;
- Nuclear technology technical reports;
- Fault studies;
- Design Authority technical reports;
- You will help mentor others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. You will also liaise with internal and external stakeholders, such as operators, designers and clients.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit - you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you're presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don't just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to 'get it', and then watch them go on and achieve more.
Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them - whether that's delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary working environment and bring with it exciting opportunities to influence a project in its entirety from beginning to end. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world's most challenging and exciting engineering projects.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
Preferred but not necessary;
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in engineering / Science or closely related discipline.
- Technical practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering;
- Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis;
- Able to produce and review/correct high-quality technical reports;
- Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality;
- Awareness of their own technical limitations, and using the help and support of others to deliver;
- Sound commercial acumen.
- Chartered Engineer/Scientist or in advanced stages of working towards chartership;
Our people say flexible working and work life balance are the best things about working for us. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers' expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world's foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you'll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.