Job Introduction What is Sport & Live?
We have around 80 people organised into multidisciplinary agile teams of software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
As a department we have a wide range of projects, systems and services including:
Who will I work with?
- BBC Sport website - BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBC's Online strategy. Our website is the UK's biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport.
- BBC Sport mobile app - With over 10 million downloads and a loyal user base of four million the BBC Sport mobile app is the most highly rated and successful mobile app made by the BBC. Mobile is one of our key platforms, particularly around personalisation and has a fast growing signed-in user base.
- BBC Live - BBC Live is key to the success of the BBC in the digital space. It provides a consistent user experience for live events across the BBC website for TV and Radio. It combines audio and video content (including live streams and highlights) together with key moments and live text commentary into a single page.
- APIs and Services - We provide APIs and services that power the BBC Sport website, the BBC Sport mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather. We are heavy users of cloud services such as Amazon Web Services and have many existing services to support and new services in the pipeline.
Sport & Live is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. Although some people in Sport & Live are sport fanatics it's not a requirement of the role. There are lots of people in our department who find things other than sport more interesting.
We have a great mix of people who are passionate about testing as well as developers who are frontend specialists, backend specialists and full stack. We are very flexible and happy to support people in moving between teams and projects that fulfil their individual interests.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit and as an equal opportunity employer we value diversity and all of the benefits it brings. Who will support me?
The BBC is widely known as an organisation that values its staff, a healthy work-life balance and a positive, growth-oriented workplace. Sport & Live has an excellent reputation within BBC North as a great place to grow, learn and develop new skills.
We have fantastic team leaders that are committed to helping their colleagues advance their careers. As a management team we work to provide you with the opportunities and experiences you need to succeed.
You can spend 10% time of your time learning new skills, playing with new technology and developing yourself, because we understand the need to stay up to date and fresh in a constantly changing technical landscape. How will I be successful?
- Be a part of improving our great culture by demonstrating the right behaviours and attitudes.
- Be proactive and take opportunities to increase your knowledge and experience.
- Be a great team player and help us achieve great things together.
Role Responsibility What will I be doing? Technical:
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Championing new technologies and approaches to ensure our products remain world class.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience.
- Working with others to get things done in a proactive and positive way.
- Working with journalists and designers on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Contributing to an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
- Delivering features using agile development practices.
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
Are you the right candidate?
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following.
- Mobile Application development on iOS and/or Android platforms.
- Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin.
- High capacity, high traffic, high availability mobile apps.
- API creation and integration.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development, and test frameworks such as XCTest, JUnit and Robolectric.
- Cloud engineering platforms such as AWS.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and design experience on mobile phone platforms.
- Engineering principles, OO and design patterns.
- Delivering large-scale projects within an agile multi-disciplined team.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community - we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges - we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
BBC Design + Engineering are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
D+E offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.