Our growing team is looking for a Mechanical Engineer, with a background in mechanical analysis and/or design, who thrives on challenging problems and is looking for the next stage of their career, carrying out complex design and analysis and rapidly moving on to leadership positions, heading up projects and guiding junior engineers new to the industry.
We need a self-starter who can deliver multiple projects at the same time, working closely with clients and other areas of the business, to capture requirements, set up projects and deliver right-first-time solutions for the most challenging problems in the energy industry.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we'd love you to apply for this role.
Our team is on the cutting edge of complex and novel multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects. We have core capabilities in:
- Mechanical Analysis - Specialising in complex FEA, fracture mechanics, structural integrity and code based lifing assessments
- Mechanical design - Specialising in process systems, piping and multi-disciplinary design
- Materials and Corrosion - Materials selection, corrosion protection specification, and corrosion mitigation strategies
- Automation, tools and novel method development
The group sits within the Nuclear Assets business in Atkins SNC-Lavalin, but supports a wide range of clients across the energy market including:
- Current Nuclear Assets
- Nuclear New Build
- Nuclear Decommissioning
- Offshore Wind
- Oil and Gas
The constant in this role is the challenging nature of the jobs and the chance to provide innovative solutions to a range of problems for several appreciative clients.The Role
As an engineer within the business you will work within small to medium sized multidisciplinary teams which may be based at client offices or plant sites. You will have the ability to work within those teams such that you can effectively support and deliver tasks for multiple workstreams, have a level of commercial awareness and be confident in your ability to deliver to time, quality and cost.Experience and Skills
We are looking for individuals with the following experience:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering / technical discipline.
- Chartered with a relevant professional institute (or approaching application for registration).
- At least 4 Years' post-graduate experience in an engineering role.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good oral and written communication skills with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, basis of analysis, safety case support references).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable with engaging with existing and prospective clients, working at their sites, and investing time in understanding their issues, objectives and processes.
Other desirable experience:
- Experience with working in a safety critical and heavily regulated environment such as Nuclear power generation/decommissioning industries.
- Demonstrable experience in Finite Element Analysis - preferably ABAQUS (other packages will be considered as long as there is an appetite / demonstrable ability to read across experience).
- Experience in piping and pressure vessel design and stressing.
- Experience in secondary steelwork design.
- Experience in working with design codes such as ASME BPVC Section III, RCC-M, ASME B31.1, BS EN 13480 and BS EN13445.
- Experience in tool/assessment automation - preferably in Python.
- Demonstrable experience of requirements capture and task specification.
- Demonstrable experience in authoring bids.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear Assets sector in the UK. As part of a global SNC Lavalin group, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.