About Network Rail
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britains railway. From Crossrail Europes largest civil engineering project to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and state of the art ventures that this country has ever seen.
This opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations, a newly formed division of Route Services that procures safe, consistent, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain.
We strive to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost-effective railway.
What do we do?
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to own a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls.
Behind the scenes we:
Process 7,000,000,000 of payments.
Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls. Brief Description
In line with technical competencies held, inspect, repair, maintain and overhaul Network Rails OTM fleet.
About the role (External)
1. Undertake the inspection, repair, modification, maintenance and overhaul of Network Rails OTM Fleet in accordance with company policies and statutory regulations.
2. Undertake maintenance activities to the correct specifications as detailed within the vehicle maintenance instructions.
3. Investigate, diagnose and rectify mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical/electronic faults.
4. Capture and record all details of work undertaken as required by the vehicle maintenance instructions on Network Rails Fleet Asset Management system.
5. Carry out good housekeeping practice in working locations, on machine and workshop areas to provide an organised, clean and fit for purpose environment.
6. Carry out all work in accordance with good engineering principles and practices at all times.
7. Ensure all tools, test equipment and all resources necessary are maintained and fit for purpose to meet and deliver the required productive outputs.
8. Propose and introduce initiatives and technical solutions to maintain the rail fleet and its components in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
9. Assist in site/depot maintenance and general enhancements as detailed by supervisor.
10. Work shifts when required by the maintenance manager
11. Operate Network Rails fleet of OTM when required by the maintenance manager.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Recognised certificated apprenticeship in a mechanical/electrical engineering-based discipline
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Appropriate experience in a maintenance-based role
Ability to travel and lodge away from home when required
Full UK driving licence
Knowledge of Network Rails Rail Fleet
Trained and competent in fork lifts, lifting equipment and overhead cranes
Appropriate experience in similar role within an operational railway environment
Knowledge of Railway Group and Company Standards relating to rail vehicle engineering
Track safety competence (PTS) Personal Track Safety (DP) Designated Person How To Apply- External
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to 3,333 (to a maximum amount of 2,500).
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Closing date: 27.12.19. Late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
Currency Amount of Travel Work At Home