Posted on August 1, 2019
Term: Permanent Reports to: Graduate Recruitment Manager Practice group: Human Resources Location: London Purpose of role
To provide support, guidance, tools and frameworks, internally and externally, with the aim of developing and retaining high quality graduate and school leaver talent across the firm.
With full accountability for the Trainee and Apprentice population in the UK offices, it will require the post-holder to travel to each of our six office locations. While the focus of the role is the UK, internal advice and guidance is often given to offices across Europe and the Middle East too.
The key objective is to ensure that Dentons is recognised as the leading employer of emerging talent within the legal industry and that internally, we actively engage with our trainee cohort to drive best practice, legal, inclusive and ethical development principles.
Responsibilities Relationship management
- Proactively manage the day to day relationship with the Trainee and Apprentice population and act as the first point of contact for any queries
- Engage with the Training Principal and maintain Trainee Partner relationships across the UK to gain stakeholder engagement with the early careers strategy
- Actively work with supervisors and Practice Group Leaders to ensure they are fully aware of the early careers strategy and their role in delivering that strategy
- Management of all third party relationships including law schools, the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), Law Society of Scotland (LSS) and external service providers
- Manage the relationship with Dentons HR Service Centre (DBSE) to ensure that all processes are continuously reviewed for efficiency and to pro-actively support and engage with the DBSE team regularly
- Partner with relevant Dentons HR employees to ensure that delivery of the strategy is streamlined and efficient
Trainee and Apprentice Development
- In conjunction with the Talent Development team, plan, attend and facilitate the annual trainee and apprenticeship induction programmes across all UK offices
- Working with the Employee Relations Manager, proactively manage employee relations matters relating to trainees and apprentices
- Deliver the biannual Trainee practice group rotations in line with Trainee and practice group requirements
- Manage international and client secondments, including accommodation, visas and other administration
- In conjunction with the Training Principal and relevant Trainee Partners, run biannual trainee forums and ad-hoc focus group sessions
- Proactively manage the mid-seat review and end of seat review process
- Provide guidance and advice to Trainees and Apprentices on practice and process, including performance, sickness and absence management
- Work closely with the Practice Group Leaders to co-ordinate and manage the qualification process
- Manage the Trainee admission process working closely with the HR Services Centre (DBSE) and Graduate Recruitment & Development Coordinator to oversee relevant SRA/LSS administration
- Proactively support supervisors with any trainee and apprentice issues
- In conjunction with the Practice Group Leaders, manage the annual apprentice practice group rotations departmental moves
- Continuously seek to innovate the Firm's training contract and Solicitor Apprenticeship programme, to develop and retain high quality graduate and school leaver talent
- Proactively monitor regulatory developments including the introduction of the Solicitors Qualification Examination (SQE)
Required experience, skills and attributes
- The ability and willingness to travel throughout the UK to service all six UK offices
- Preferably educated to degree level or equivalent
- Previous HR experience within a similar development role
- Previous professional services experience desirable but not essential
- Graduate CIPD or working towards CIPD qualification desirable but not essential
- Proficient user of the MS Office suite, in particular Word and Excel
- Commerciality; must be focused on providing high quality service to benefit the business;
- Sound working knowledge of employment law and practical handling of employee relations issues;
- Knowledge and ability to provide sound HR advice to the business and good judgment in terms of when to refer;
- Ability to manage a varied and demanding workload in a fast paced environment
- Ability to quickly build rapport with stakeholders at all levels, including influencing senior stakeholders
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the confidence to present to large groups
- Exceptional attention to detail, high levels of accuracy and a commitment to high quality standards
- Pro-active in seeking ways to continuously improve
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com .
Diversity and inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences.
We undertake and support a number of internal and external initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved. We welcome you to learn more about diversity and inclusion at Dentons.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .NO AGENCIES PLEASE
If you are interested in applying for this position, we welcome direct applications via our careers page, but if you have any questions beforehand please email email@example.com - Enquiries only please, applications will not be accepted via email .
Please note that we will not accept unsolicited CV's sent to the business, nor will we accept any associated terms of business.