Posted on September 9, 2019
Term: Permanent Reports to: Head of Resourcing Practice group: Human Resources Location: London Purpose of role
The key focus is to ensure that Dentons' is recognised as the leading and preferred employer of emerging talent within the legal industry and that internally, Dentons' actively engages with emerging talent and operates best practice, legal, inclusive and ethical resourcing principles.
Leading the Graduate Recruitment and Trainee Development function you will devise and set the strategy to ensure continual improvement and that we attract and recruit the highest caliber future trainee lawyers. While the focus of the role is the UK, internal advice and guidance is often provided to offices across Europe and the Middle East.
Thinking creatively, strategically, commercially and competitively you will have excellent client relationship management skills as well as outstanding professional presence. Working closely with the Head of Resourcing and Graduate Recruitment/Trainee Partner you will have full accountability for the graduate recruitment lifecycle including marketing and events, selection and candidate experience, vacation schemes, diversity and reporting. In addition, managing the Trainee Development team, you will be responsible for delivering on the Firm's training contract including seat change, performance management, qualification and induction processes.
- Manage, coach and provide ongoing professional support to the Graduate recruitment team which consists of
- Graduate Recruitment Advisor
- Trainee Development Advisor
- Graduate Recruitment Coordinator
- Set the annual Graduate Recruitment strategy, focussing on continual improvement, including sign off for hiring numbers, university and campus activity plan, marketing and selection
- Overall responsibility for the monitoring and review of the selection process and implementing improvements where appropriate
- Accountable for providing an exceptional candidate experience by supporting team to deliver on the application processing through Apply4Law and assessment centres
- Attend assessment centres, conduct interviews, facilitate wash-up sessions, make offers and manage acceptance
- Design and deliver meaningfultraining for assessors
- Overall responsibility for the university and campus activity strategy by supporting the team to deliver on event planning including budget allocation and targeting, relationships with careers services and brand ambassadors; you will be required to attend selected on-campus events and deliver skills sessions
- Deliver best in class vacation schemes to ensure strong conversion rates
- Partner our Inclusion and Diversity team and external organisations to deliver on the Firm's inclusion aspirations
- Perform an annual process review to inform planning for the following year
- Overall lead on the firm wide graduate brand, including the website, campus and marketing collateral
- Lead on the Firms' response to the SQE and (when appropriate) devise our implementation strategy
- Attend relevant external events and (where appropriate) create alliances with peers in the market
- Set and monitor the Graduate Recruitment budget
- Any other tasks as reasonably requested by Head of Resourcing
- Set the Trainee Development strategy, including trainee numbers, approach to key processes and the development programme
- Support the team to deliver on the key processes such as seat change and secondments every six months, performance management, qualification and induction
- Promote and develop the evaluation process for trainee solicitors including mid and end of seat reviews
- Overall responsibility for relationships with external suppliers such as law schools
- Provide HR support to trainees on ER issues, such as performance, health and wellbeing or personal issues
- Point of escalation for any trainee or future trainee issues
- Set and monitor the Trainee Development budget
- Oversee the provision of financial assistance for future trainees at law school
- Liaise with the Solicitors Regulation Authority on matters relating to trainee solicitors
- Build relationships with key internal contacts, such as Trainee Partners and HR practice managers/advisors
- Overall responsibility for the design and content of Dentons graduate recruitment materials and media including website, publications, advertising, social and media tracking
- Identify opportunities to promote Dentons employment proposition via on-line and media adverts and identify key competitor activity and potential candidate populations for targeting purposes
- Devise and execute comprehensive attraction and events through sponsorship opportunities with universities/student groups to build Dentons reputation
- Manage relationships with key contacts at universities
- Overall accountability for the delivery of Dentons' solicitor apprenticeship strategy, including wider strategic aims of the programme
- Oversee and further develop Dentons work experience policy
- Producing management information and dashboards
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Prior experience of managing and coaching a team to deliver excellent results
- Able to delegate effectively and demonstrate good time management and organisational skills
- Excellent knowledge of the graduate recruitment market and recruitment processes
- Excellent knowledge of trainee development
- CIPD qualification desirable, with good HR knowledge
- Strong professional presence with excellent oral and written presentation skills
- Client service and results-orientated with the ability to handle multiple, time-sensitive projects while focusing on quality
- Able to adapt to shifting priorities and adjust plans appropriately
- Effectively represents and promotes the function and firm
- An ability to work well under pressure, anticipate issues and work to strict deadlines
- Able to work autonomously and handle pressured situations calmly and with care
- Uses initiative, thinks creatively, recommends meaningful changes and has good problem solving skills
- Displays tenacity and is eager to be involved in new initiatives
- Possess a 'can-do' attitude
- Relationship focused and understands the importance of building networks both internally and externally
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Excellent IT skills, including Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Comfortable setting and monitoring budgets
- Strong project and programme management capability
- Experience of change management
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work.
Diversity and inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences.
We undertake and support a number of internal and external initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved. We welcome you to learn more about diversity and inclusion at Dentons.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please contact Jo Wilson. Call: +44 20 7320 6766 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you are interested in applying for this position, we welcome direct applications via our careers page, but if you have any questions beforehand please email email@example.com - Enquiries only please, applications will not be accepted via email.
Please note that we operate a strict preferred supplier policy and consequently we do not accept speculative CVs from third party suppliers nor will we accept any associated terms of business.
If you would like to express your interest in becoming a supplier to the firm, please can you forward your details to firstname.lastname@example.org and if appropriate a member of the team will contact you in due course. Please do not attach any CVs.