Lines Person Reporting to
Project Manager, Distribution Capital Delivery, EPN Location
Letchworth / Stevenage Business Unit and Department
Networks Operations, Distribution Capital Delivery Reference Number
61289 Employment Period
Permanent Contract Type
SGNF Collective Agreement (DCD Linesmen Addendum) Job Family Level/Grade
Band EL1,EL2 or EL3 depending on experience and qualifications CIP Level
3% Salary Range
(£41,988•) or (£35,730) or (£28,541)
Each level depends on expereince and qualfications. Please ask for details. Closing date
19th October 2021 All applications will be reviewed after the closing date.
We also provide the following additional benefits
UK Power Networks
- Annual leave
- Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks
is the country's biggest electricity distributor, making sure the lights stay on for more than eight million homes and businesses across London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks continues to be listed in the Sunday Times' Top 25 Best Big Companies to Work For, as well as the Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers, and made industry history by becoming first company to win Utility of the Year two years running (2015 and 2016, also 2012). The company is accredited in the Investors in People Platinum and Nation Equality Standard.
The company invests more than £600 million in its electricity networks every year, offers extra help to vulnerable customers at times of need, and is undertaking trials to ensure that electricity networks support the transition to a low carbon future. It also moves cables and connects new electricity supplies. Job Purpose
The role of the Lines Person will have the responsibility for the provision of overhead line construction operations with the particular bias towards low voltage and 11kV constructions.
This includes liaising with the Project/ Field Managers, Field staff, Control, SAP's, other members of the Network Operations and Contractors. Dimensions
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- To be a team player.
- Diligently perform the duties within their role in the team.
- Be prepared to challenge unsafe practices.
- Work to the relevant operational procedures, manuals and DSR's.
- Have the enthusiasm to learn and develop new techniques.
- Demonstrate a strong safety culture.
- Be flexible in their approach.
- Maintain high standards and produce quality workmanship.
- Adhere to all business procedures and company safety policies at all times.
- Be required to carry out a storm role during emergencies.
- Have or be willing to work towards AP or SAP authorisations.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of overhead line construction techniques and operation of the overhead line network.
- Hold or be will to work towards HGV driving license.
- UK Power Networks competency certificate.
- City and Guilds 2339 (formally 2322) certificate or equivalent
- To be able to work on own initiative
- Able to complete self-risk assessments
- Ability to work as part of a team
- To be prepared to train and learn new skills to be able to carry out the full range of duties.
- To be experienced and have in depth knowledge in the field of low voltage and 11kv overhead line construction and maintenance.
- HAUC (NRSWA) qualification as a supervisor and operative
- Flexible attitude to work and working hours.
- Ability to build good working relationships within their own team as well as developing wider working contacts.
- The ability to communicate effectively, with a wide range of individuals, in a clear and concise manner.
- Actively engage with the customer and land owners affected by our works and proactively work towards improving customer satisfaction scores
- Liaise with Project Managers and Field Managers to ensure timely delivery of customer focused works.
- Liaise with other delivery functions to ensure the smooth running of Distribution Capital Delivery works.
- Proactive approach to customer care.
- No Customer complaints.
- Usage of mobile tablet device to receive work instructions and record working time and actual work completed.
The role ideally requires practical experience of the electrical distribution network and/or associated business processes and functions. However, more importantly the role requires strong organisational skills, attention to detail, the ability to work as a team, strong interpersonal skills and a strong safety focus. Please Note
: Internal candidates who are still within a probationary period must obtain the written approval of their manager, which must be submitted with their application. Please Note: Internal candidates are eligible to apply for internal positions once they have successfully completed any contractual probationary period. Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask! We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.