UK Job Description Description
This position will support lawyers with exemplary client service through advanced matter management and client management. The Legal Project Manager is expected to understand the firm's business goals and support lawyers in value-added services to clients. This includes analyzing financial data, creating Excel-based financial reports, utilizing project management methodologies and tools, and building client communication tools, where appropriate.
The successful candidate will have a keen understanding of legal project management and the proper rigor to apply to a given legal matter or portfolio of matters to ensure best results. The candidate must be able to demonstrate significant intuitive flexibility in the choice and application of various finance, project and legal process management disciplines and tools (depending on the type of engagement), and the real and acknowledged needs for matter management of the legal team. The candidate must be able to take a long-term view with regard to the successful adoption and acceptance of legal project management and the firm as a whole. The candidate must be comfortable working with teams of partners, associates and other legal personnel.
Additionally, the candidate must be adept at navigating complex, high-pressure environments. The candidate will also interact directly with partners and clients, maintaining and fostering positive relations while working on administrative and legal matters. The Firm
Reed Smith is a dynamic international law firm dedicated to helping clients move their businesses forward. Our belief is that by delivering smarter and more creative legal services, we will not only enrich our clients' experiences with us, but also support them in achieving their business goals.
Our long-standing relationships, international outlook, and collaborative structure make us the go-to partner for the speedy resolution of complex disputes, transactions, and regulatory matters.
We have more than 1,700 lawyers in 28 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial industry, global corporate group, entertainment and media, energy and natural resources, and shipping.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm's commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development. We place a huge significance on listening to our people and incorporating their ideas wherever possible.
Some of our recent recognitions include:
- The BTI Innovation Champions 2019: ranked among the top five most innovative law firms.
- Transatlantic Legal Awards 2018: winner of 'Pro Bono and CSR Initiative of the Year'.
- WILEF - Gold Standard Certification 2011-2018 (Women in Law Empowerment Forum)
- The Lawyer Awards 2018: won 'Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion' award.
- 27 lawyers recognised in Best Lawyers' 'Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom' (2019 edition).
- Named to The Guardian UK 300 List for 2018
- The JobCrowd - we are still listed on the top 100 companies for graduates to work for list
- Reed Smith was Highly Commended at the fourth annual Legal Week Innovation Awards, receiving recognition in the Business Development Innovation Award category for the firm's Client Listening Programme
- Providing our partners and clients with legal project management support for the lifecycle of key matters/portfolios. This will include developing the matter work plan, monitoring the budget, fees incurred versus fees received, utilising checklists and templates wherever possible and leveraging available technology
- Provide strategic and tactical pricing advice and services to help develop and monitor the pricing and scope of services of alternative fee arrangements, including, i.e. retainers, fee modifiers in the forms of penalties, reductions, bonuses and premiums
- Work with the Legal Project Management and Client Value Team to design and implement methodologies to ensure matters based on alternative fee arrangments meet their fixed or budgeted cost, and to monitor the efficiency of the work done on those projects
- Reviewing client and partner requests for regular management Information. This will involve working closely with business development, finance and other business services functions to ensure that they provide information in a seamless and professional fashion
- Analyze data from Reed Smith financial systems and create Excel-based financial reports and dashboards
- Develop a keen understanding of law firm profitability metrics and key performance indicators--and how they interrelate--and demonstrate the ability to discuss those metrics with firm attorneys
- Make recommendations to attorney teams on how to improve client and matter profitability metrics
- Assist legal teams in defining and documenting project scope, goals and deliverables that support business needs of both the Firm and our clients
- Compare matter progress to budget and convey status to firm attorneys and clients
- Estimate the resources and participants (staffing) needed to achieve project goals and provide input in the budget-creation and matter work plan-creation process
- Define project success criteria and disseminate data to involved parties throughout project lifecycle
- Effectively communicate project expectations and status to firm attorneys and clients in a timely and clear fashion
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential risks and devise contingency plans as appropriate
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, juggling priorities, deadlines and essential project management duties for each respective project
- Create and complete internal and external "after action reports" to facilitate the continuous improvement of the execution of our legal project management program and legal work at large
Occasionally work outside standard hours and some travel mey be required Key Skills, Attributes and Experience
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Ability to influence key senior decision makers
- Ability to create, execute and monitor complex and commercially valid fee arrangements
- Excellent technology skills with a particular focus on Excel
- Ability to understand complex reporting requests for internal and external clients - being able to recommend and design solutions to delivering these reports as well assisting in interpretation and analysis
- Excellent level of attention to detail
- Strong level of oral and written communication skills
- Strong focus on service delivery
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously and be responsive to changing priorities
- Highly motivated with ability to work independently - using initiative.
- Knowledge of financial and revenue billing systems a plus
- Able to deal with pressure associated with fast-paced work environment. Multiple priorities/tasks. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.
Required: Undergraduate or MBA degree in finance or a related business field, law degree, or equivalent work experience. Certification or Paralegal experience a plus. Experience
Minimum five years of work experience in finance or legal industry. Willingness to obtain project management or legal project management certification.
At Reed Smith, we welcome direct applications either in response to one of our advertised vacancies or on a speculative basis. Please click on the "Apply Now" button to submit your details and we will be in touch.
No search firms/agencies please.
Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
We are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities or long-term health conditions. If you have a disability or a long-term health condition and require adjustments to be made for you within the recruitment process, please contact a member of the Recruitment team. For more information on our approach to diversity and inclusion please visit our website .