Gousto are on a mission to become the UK's favourite way to eat dinner!
Delicious recipes, precise ingredients & a dollop of adventure, delivered to your door. We have invested in our technology, data capability and product to ensure the customer is at the heart of what we do. Every aspect of our business is powered by our passion.
Whether it is innovation through our recipe development, building algorithms to optimise our recipe box journey or devising strategies to reduce plastic and food waste. All our teams play a part in our amazing growth in the UK!
Our DREAM? To be the most-loved way to eat dinner, and for every meal to leave the planet better off. Gousto is changing how people shop, cook and eat food at home. It's an incredibly exciting time to join our team!The Opportunity
The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the menu recommendation engine to driving our supply chain. We are a scale-up business on a steep growth trajectory, and with that comes the need to build a platform that can scale. In parallel to this, we need to expand our team, evolving effective tools and processes that ensure we can continue to deliver quality code at pace.
Our platform is entirely cloud-based, and many of our backend services are now delivered via AWS Lambda. Our continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated and we release code to production multiple times a day. We're in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers.
Your skills and experience will help us move to the next level. We know we've got lots of things right but we also have many things still to improve. Right now we're working on creating robust seed data for testing and flexible developer environments for coding.
We are making huge investments in technology, and plan to triple the size of our team to over 200 people in the next few years. As well as providing lots of career growth for our team, there will be plenty of opportunities to lead, mentor, influence and learn.What's it really like to work here?
Requirements What skills and experience will you need?
- We are customer-centric, data-driven and outcome-focused, using lean principles to work iteratively, experiment and learn fast.
- We work in cross-functional squads which we are slowly evolving to include business partners. This allows us to work more closely with our colleagues in food, operations and marketing, enabling greater alignment, collaboration and innovation.
- Our squads have a high level of autonomy to decide both what outcomes they should pursue and how they will achieve them.
- We believe in being agile rather than committing to a single framework. We have a set of lean and agile principles which we follow, but beyond that squads are empowered and encouraged to tailor their working processes.
- We discourage pigeon-holing which means our engineers are responsible for designing, writing, testing, deploying and maintaining their code in production. We don't have QAs, and our architect works closely with squads to consult and collaborate.
- A DevOps culture is central to our way of working and our squads are responsible for running their solutions in production.
- Pairing and TDD are practices we champion and want to keep improving.
- 10% of our time is dedicated to tech innovation and we hold regular brown bags.
- We are committed to being involved in the wider tech community, hosting meetups, speaking at events and sharing learnings via our blog .
What we look for in a great Lead Engineer
- Coaching and mentoring other engineers, with the responsibility of line management of 1/2 engineers.
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language - but it doesn't need to be a language that we use here. Great engineers learn quickly and are keen to adopt new languages.
- Designing and delivering scalable, distributed, cloud-based systems in a highly available manner.
- Working with async and event-driven architectures.
- Experience of CI/CD tooling and responsibly running solutions in production, working with logging, monitoring and alerting stacks.
- A good understanding of lean product discovery and delivery practices.
Great engineering - and this is so much more than writing great code. As well as an excellent knowledge of software craftsmanship, you'll have a test-first approach and know what automated testing to apply at which level of the stack. You'll have great design and architectural knowledge and plenty of experience of maintaining your code in production.
Leadership and Coaching - you are highly proactive, you take ownership of problems and propose solutions. You create forums to drive good principles and practices across all of engineering. You mentor and coach all levels of engineering using your knowledge and experience to drive improvements across the team.
Outcome-focus - you develop a deep understanding of the problem you're solving before you build it. You are product-oriented and customer-focused, balancing technical direction with business value. You know when to compromise and when not to.
Lean delivery - you deliver rapidly in small batches, reducing risk and creating a fast feedback loop. You have a continuous improvement mindset, constantly seeking to reduce waste and avoid re-work.
Growth mindset - you are curious and are always looking to learn. You encourage a culture of learning, emphasising the importance of breadth as well as the depth of knowledge. You value feedback as a learning tool, and you offer constructive feedback with empathy.What's it like working at Gousto?
All of us are responsible for the success of Gousto. Our guiding values - dream, deliver and care - show our commitment to innovation, our ambition to hit goals at speed, and our deep respect for the people we work with.Our Culture
You're a confident self-starter, able to juggle multiple projects in a dynamic, exciting and entrepreneurial environment. You take initiative and are a problem-solver with an eagle eye for detail. You'll consistently go the extra mile to apply and achieve a high standard across everything you do.Our ValuesDream
- Be confident in your curiosity: think big, aim high and respectfully stand up for what you believe in.Deliver
- We look for effective answers that will have a real impact, take initiative to solve problems and have a healthy impatience for change.Care
- We care about our colleagues, customers and suppliers - they are key to our success - and about where our food comes from, the quality of our ingredients and our impact on the environment.
Where we're based:
Shepherd's Bush, London
Hidden away behind Shepherd's Bush Green you'll find Gousto HQ. Our London office holds the tech team, finance team, people team, marketing team, food team, proposition team, and customer care team... and we're growing all the time.
Sprawled over the fields of Spalding is the Gousto warehouse, where all our boxes start their journeys. Our Spalding site holds the ops team, the logistics team, the food tech team, and even more of our customer care team.