Overview L&C Operations Manager
Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients.
The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
The insurance companies of Chubb serve multinational corporations, mid-size and small businesses with property and casualty insurance and services; affluent and high net worth individuals with substantial assets to protect; individuals purchasing life, personal accident, supplemental health, homeowners, automobile and other specialty insurance coverage; companies and affinity groups providing or offering accident and health insurance programs and life insurance to their employees or members; and insurers managing exposures with reinsurance coverage.
With $150 billion in assets and $37 billion of gross written premiums in 2014* on a pro forma basis, Chubb's core operating insurance companies maintain financial strength ratings of AA from Standard & Poor's and A++ from A.M. Best.
Chubb's parent company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: CB) and is a component of the S&P 500 index.
Chubb maintains executive offices in Zurich, New York, London and other locations, and employs approximately 30,000 people worldwide. Role Purpose
The Operations Manager will:
- Define and drive strategic and operational initiatives with on-time and on-budget results
- Report on key operational and substantive metrics for the practice group that will better inform decision-making, including matter and work product analyses
- Identify and implement department tools to streamline new or existing practices, as well as manage design, rollout, and training for new and existing systems
- Develop and enforce processes and policies to manage outside counsel usage and spend
- Assist with budget matters and optimizing workflows
- Collaborate with cross functional-teams including IT, Finance, HR, Operations and Communications as well as well as various business units
- Drive change and operational efficiencies across the department
The L&C Operations Manager will be required to demonstrate:
- Strong leadership skills and a strong understanding of Chubb's core business
- The ability to translate the needs of the business into L&C department requirements and think strategically
- A high degree of comfort with change including recommending and implementing change
- The ability to build strong relationships across the business and leverage that network to achieve desired outcomes
- A keen attention to detail and an ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Assist with preparation of internal functional reports and presentations - routine and ad hoc - as required
- Support GCO in terms of staff meetings, annual conference planning, other events, and long-term planning.
- Establish and maintain processes, templates, rules of engagement and tools (including but not limited to technology solutions such as GCO use of Workspaces/Sharepoint, Tymetrix, NDA Portal, The Village, The Hubb, Navex), including content and design. Plan and manages business unit/department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of operational effectiveness across GCO. Oversee development and implementation of department policies, communications and training.
- Continuously identifying activities across GCO that could be standardized or automated, and devise and implement strategies to standardize/automate such activities
- Support and contribute to the management of the department budget and cost initiatives (and associated reporting). Lead and support vendor management including billing, maintenance of law firm panel, quarterly engagement meetings.
- Coordinate and manage exchange of information between the Legal Group and other business and administrative teams including Finance, Human Resources, and Marketing teams. Assist with the development and delivery of legal training to various department groups.
- Data Analytics: Collect and analyze relevant data from department tools and industry sources, define objectives to provide metrics and dashboards that drive efficiencies and optimize spend. Provide guidance on technology and systems to improve team efficiency and effectiveness; manage design, rollout and training for new systems.
- Ensure accurate and useful reporting on matters worked on to the Senior Team, and to their supported business stakeholders. Coordinate with Global functions and facilitate global initiatives and reporting efforts.
- Support performance review process including objective setting. Manage development and tracking of team goals, and provide management support.
- Work within the Group and regional risk management framework and framework of policies and ethical and service standards.
- Manage firm's licences and permission renewals and applications, maintain Corporate Calendar and department registers/logs/trackers.
- Preferably a qualified lawyer and admitted to practice.
Strong operations background, and experience with systems and processes. Proficient in MS Office Suite products, with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
Experience in the technology industry; strong curiosity in technology and an understanding of major technology trends; interest in assessing emerging digital tools and technology for current legal processes
- Ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment to meet deadlines; detail oriented and organized with the ability to effectively prioritize tasks; experience of working in an international environment, preferably in or with a matrixed multi-national organization.
- A collaborative attitude, with ability to build strong relationships with all stakeholders. Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines, resilient and calm under pressure
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills; attention to detail; strong written and oral communication skills; strong problem solving and influencing skills; professional demeanor and strong relationship management skills
- Track record of building and maintaining sustainable processes. Able to drive projects to a conclusion
- Strong integrity and business ethics
- People management skills
- English - Fluent (Written and spoken)
- Working knowledge of a European Language an advantage, but not a strict requirement
London - Leadenhall Job Function:
Legal Employment Type:
Join Our Talent Network
We came a long way in a very short space of time.