We're recruiting for a Junior Safety Case Engineer
to support growth on new frameworks providing professional services to the exciting New Build project at Hinkley Point C (HPC). There are a number of areas of work including fantastic opportunities in Site Engineering based at or near HPC construction site in a fantastic location set on the Severn estuary in Somerset as well as support to the Technical Management Authority, Design Authority, Commissioning and other teams based in Bristol with potential to be based in the Jacobs office in Gloucester for a proportion of the time.
This role is crucial to the success of the HPC project and the work output will help to form the basis of operation of the plant in future years. The successful candidate will work in teams with both Jacobs and customer staff and will be expected to interact in a professional manner at all times, delivering work to time, cost and quality whilst maintaining an unerring focus on safety of themselves and others.
This role is your chance to be involved in one of the largest construction projects in Europe and to help successfully deliver the plant that will help power a large proportion of UK homes and businesses in the future. We're excited about this project and this opportunity and we hope you are as well.
We want you to join our team
Whilst this opportunity is specifically to support HPC, we're growing our offices in Gloucester and Bristol on the back of several significant opportunities in the nuclear new build and existing generation programmes. We're a professional, friendly and supportive team, and can offer exciting and challenging development opportunities across a range of projects. The South West of England is a dynamic and thriving environment in which to take the next step in your career. We're looking for people
Who have experience or transferable skills into the nuclear industry or other highly-regulated industries. If you're interested in driving your career forward, then we'd like to meet with you and discuss this exciting opportunity.
Working within our team, you will form a key part of our dynamic safety services community supporting a wide range of projects and clients across the nuclear industry, primarily for customers in new build and generating reactors but also with possibilities to support teams from other offices in decommissioning, defence and on fusion reactor work.
Key responsibilities for this role include the application of Nuclear Safety principles and their role in safety case preparation and production. You will also support the development and delivery of License Summary Statements, Nuclear Safety Cases and other supporting documentation on behalf of our clients.
The Junior Safety Case Engineer is likely to be responsible for activities such as:
- Production of License Summary Statements and other technical safety documents under guidance from more senior members of the team
- Implementing the Safety Case development strategy
- Taking part in authoring and/or verification activities supported by more senior team members
- Taking part in other Technical Safety activities such as HAZID, HAZOP, Fault Schedule development, SFR derivation, etc.
Success in this role will be measured by achieving an excellent standard of delivery with no issues in the work output. Customer satisfaction and further growth of work to support the business will also be key measures of success in our consultancy-based business.
Our business is largely consultancy-based and so the level of influence for any task is largely dependent upon the skill and experience of the individual. Typically, we would expect a Junior Safety Case Engineer to:
- Work with senior members of the team, mentors, and stakeholders from within the customer organisation in order to reach satisfactory outcomes to each piece of work
- Successfully deliver tasked work whilst challenging anything that is unclear
- Be proactive and have an ability to engage with stakeholders and challenge in an open, confident and clear manner. Coaching will be provided if necessary
- Influence customer stakeholders to ensure that the right decisions are made in the context of the work undertaken.
Jacobs' nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment. Skills/ Qualifications:
- A sound technical or engineering background with a minimum of a 2:1 in a scientific or engineering degree and demonstrable experience in the Nuclear industry
- Demonstrable ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, and present complex arguments in a well-structured manner, suitable for a varied audience
- Demonstrable communication skills with stakeholders both internally and externally
- Awareness and understanding of the purpose of Safety Cases in the Nuclear industry
- Ability to work in a team in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to think innovatively and solve complex problems
- Experience of working in a safety and safety case environment within either the nuclear industry, or a similar highly regulated industry such as petrochemical or rail (preferable)
- Knowledge and experience of the application of some of the following techniques would be beneficial: Hazard Identification, Fault Schedule development, Safety Functional Requirements (SFR) derivation, Probabilistic Safety Analysis
- Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes
- Act with integrity and possess a conscientious approach
- Self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively with other teams and/or organisations to create new opportunities
- Available to work full-time in the centre of Bristol and/or Barnwood, Gloucester and potentially other locations within the UK
- Outgoing and personable with a successful track record of developing relationships with customers at all levels