Based in a dayside or a 24/7 shift which covers nights and weekends the team supports a range of BBC platforms including Windows, MAC and MDM both on site and remotely for our International BBC Bureaux, undertaking a mixture of: 1st line support calls, typical 2nd line IT desk visits, User Admin requests and also a customer facing Laptop Clinic. The role reports back to the Team Leader bringing their attention to any issues encountered during the course of the shift that requires escalation in order that they can assist in reaching a satisfactory resolution.
Work involves end-to-end business support for systems and applications for the related Editorial/Production and Development teams, ensuring duties are performed efficiently, safely and to a consistently high standard.
Are you the right candidate?
As an Engineer, you will have:
- Strong experience of working with Microsoft Active Directory and SCCM administration in an operational business environment.
- Strong experience of supporting Microsoft Windows Workstation Windows 7 in an operational business environment.
- Strong experience of troubleshooting software and hardware issues on Windows based desktops and laptops.
- Experience of Microsoft Office products including strong knowledge of Outlook configuration in an operational business environment.
- Knowledge of support centre call logging systems.
- Experience of installation, configuration and troubleshooting of laptops with a strong emphasis on remote access via broadband and wireless connections.
- Experience of training novice users in operating technical equipment and software applications.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP over Ethernet networks
- An understanding of the use of content management systems in large internet sites.
- Knowledge and understanding of security issues in a large corporate networked environment.
- Strong understanding of Intel based hardware.
We would also like to hear about your:
- Experience of supporting Apple MAC OSX in a Networked environment.
- Audio/Video encoding & streaming knowledge.
- Experience using Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition.
- Knowledge of BBC MyConnect or Cisco VPN Services.
- Knowledge of BBC implementations of Jupiter / VCS Dira / Viz Rt / Weatherscape / Content Production System (CPS) systems.
To ensure that the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act, Working Time Directive and other workplace related legislation are observed. Responsible for ensuring that all work is carried out in accordance with a safe system of work and that the requirements of statutory and BBC safety regulations are fully met including adherence to the BBC Health and Safety Policy.
12 months Attachment / FTC
Location: New Broadcasting House, London
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community - we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges - we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You'll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.