What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
About the role
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary.
- Car allowance of £7,320 per annum.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays).
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted "Gympass" membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health.
- Retirement savings plan - save between 6% and 10% and Tesco will match your contribution.
- LifeAssurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Share Schemes - Join our 'Buy As You Earn' & 'Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service.
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period.
- Health screening every 2 years.
- Private medical insurance offered by Bupa.
- Cycle to work scheme.
The Head of Systems Engineering for Product and Architecture is responsible for defining the Infrastructure architecture and specifying the underlying products it is made from. The role ensures all of the Infrastructure Engineering teams are delivering coherent solutions that support what our customers and colleagues need. Initially the focus is recruiting a team of Product Managers/Engineers who will then define a set of products that together deliver a consistent architecture and set of roadmaps.
To be successful you will need pull together the many different demands from our DevOps and infrastructure teams and deliver first class solutions that wow our colleagues and help Technology to accelerate our business.
Given the scale of the organisation, Tesco relies on many different Infrastructure solutions to support the business. The network connects more than 4,600 stores to our data centres and Cloud services, with colleagues and customers accessing our systems 24x7. Linux, VMWare and Windows platforms support the operations of stores, depots and the website.
Increasingly Cloud IaaS, PaaS and SaaS solutions support new applications delivered using Infrastructure as Code templates maintained by the Infrastructure Team. The size of the organisation means there are many complex problems that need to be settled and it is those challenges that have driven the need to build more capability within the Infrastructure team so we can solve more of them at once. You will be responsible for
In this job, you:
Product and Architecture
- Manage activities of members of the systems engineering job family, building a team culture for continuous improvement and environment where engineers want to work.
- Ensure the team meets the required quality standards, commitments and objectives as defined in the acceptance criteria and definitions of done for all tasks undertaken.
- Define, recruit and build a global team including ways of working, skills required and location strategy, setting out the road map and development needs for the team of the future.
- Manage team performance and support team development and capabilities by defining training plans, objectives and providing feedback.
- Develop you and your team's careers.
- Drive adoption of new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
- Keep your technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, processes, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Design solutions to meet the required service levels, quality and functionality, retaining ultimate accountability for those systems meeting the requirements.
- Contribute to the Architecture forum, ensuring that business projects are delivered using good infrastructure practices.
- Understand current application development techniques and their implications when leading the design of Infrastructure/Systems.
- Work with the Procurement teams to source suppliers and partners for technology, deployment and ongoing support services.
- Create documentation and procedures and hand over new systems to Infrastructure Service and Operations.
- Managing stakeholder communication and escalations.
- Represent the Infrastructure/systems department across all of Technology.
This role defines the Products offered by the Infrastructure team to support all of Tesco's applications. It defines the high-level building blocks and how they should be put together to meet business requirements. Specific responsibilities include;
You will need Experience relevant for this job
- Investigating and identifying trends and emerging Infrastructure technologies and techniques that would deliver a significant improvement to Tesco's business, application or Infrastructure teams.
- Working with teams in Technology to understand their needs and areas of concern and shaping the Products that Infrastructure offer to meet those needs.
- Working with the other Heads of System Engineering / Heads of Software Development to define building blocks and Technology patterns.
- Maintaining product and architecture roadmaps, including technology lifecycle management, for Infrastructure.
- Providing Industry leading architecture guidance to ensure that each of the different building blocks and products fit together to deliver technically coherent products that meet the service, cost and functional requirements.
- Running the processes to ensure good Solution Architecture for all Infrastructure Engineering and Operations projects and deliveries.
- Using your understanding of cost, service requirements, technology and people to make recommendations on existing solutions and where they could be improved or should be decommissioned.
- Acting as a leader in the Infrastructure team, taking accountability for work outside of your domain when necessary.
- Leading a small team of Principle Systems Engineers, Product Owners or Systems Engineers who are able to provide subject matter expertise in various Infrastructure domains.
Skills relevant for the job
- Previous experience working in a DevOps environment and building teams to deliver system engineering solutions in an automated way.
- Experience at optimising teams to deliver solutions to complex problems at pace.
Key people and teams I work within and outside of Tesco
- Stakeholder management.
- People management.
- Technical skills as appropriate to specialism.
- Agile working practices.
People, budgets and other resources I am accountable for in my job
- Product Managers.
- Software Development Engineers.
- System Engineering Managers.
- Technical Programme Managers.
- Colleagues and business stakeholders across Tesco.
- Suppliers and 3rd parties.
- Line management responsibility for the Product and Architecture team.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious road map of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you!