The Head of Safety Assurance is responsible for ensuring that the RAMSS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Safety and Security) requirements for all delivery projects within the Project Delivery area of business are successfully executed. This role is responsible for ensuring that the needs of the customer (specifically Network Rail & TfL/LU) are understood and that the RAMSS activities undertaken by specific applications comply with these. The candidate will work closely with the customer acceptance and approval authorities, Project Delivery and R&D to ensure that these needs are aligned, rationalised and achieved. The Head of Safety Assurance will be responsible for the management of this important interface and will play a strategic role within Business.What are my responsibilities?
The Head of Safety Assurance reports to the Head of R&D for ensuring that projects, in respect to RAMSS, are consistent with the defined requirements. The Head of Safety Assurance, as a member of the Safety Assurance Department, contributes to the overall leadership of the Department and provides functional leadership support to the local Business Unit in the area of Specific Application Safety.
This role will:
- become involved with projects at the tender, budget, requirements and later phases and ensure that an appropriate definition of the RAMS related requirements are prepared and implemented
- assess and recommend staff level and training requirements to fulfil the activities and provide monitoring and control of the activities throughout the project
- ensure all activities are completed consistent with the project requirements
- provide management, guidance and direction with the development of Specific Application Safety Cases associated with projects delivered from the regional offices
- provide close contact and liaison with Railway Operators and acceptance bodies
- management of the interface between the customer approval bodies and projects
- have budget responsibility for projects under their control
- have line management responsibility for the safety assurance engineers assigned to the Main Line projects
- have a portfolio responsibility in ensuring that all main line projects are being supported from a RAMSS perspective
The work will require close liaison with Delivery Directors, Project Managers, Engineers and support staff, especially in relation to scheduling of activities and use of project resources.What do I need to qualify for this job?
The Head of Main Line Safety Assurance should possess a qualification in engineering or a related discipline.
The successful candidate will be an experienced engineer having participated in numerous engineering development projects with skills in one or more of the disciplines of system development, hardware development, software development or system testing. The knowledge, skills and experience will include:
- Working knowledge of ISO9001, the CSM regulations, Cenelec EN50126, EN50128, EN50129 and their implementation in a safety development environment is required together with an understanding of the application of the quality, safety and V&V techniques applicable to system, hardware and software design and testing
- Experience in the area of RAMS & Validation
- Knowledge of all the phases of the design lifecycle
- Working knowledge of signalling systems and products covering ETCS, Control Systems, Interlockings and Train Detection
- In depth knowledge of customer acceptance and approvals processes (knowledge of Network Rail Acceptance and Approval would be advantageous) for both bespoke and interoperable systems
- Knowledge of the design techniques for high integrity systems
- Experience in Team Leadership
- Knowledge of management principles
- Knowledge of railway signalling practices and operation (advantage)
- Knowledge of relevant railway, defence and other international standards applicable to this role (advantage)
- Proven relationship builder and ability to communicate at all levels, especially with the customer
- Availability to travel frequently
The Head of Main Line Safety Assurance must possess personal qualities that enable them to:
- conceptualise and produce realistic plans and estimates and put these into action
- have a high level (generalist) technical understanding
- take a firm stand on safety and quality principles
- analyse requirements and design implementations and assess the effect on safety
- accept responsibility in making engineering decisions and the quality of own work
- manage own time efficiently
- supervise any staff under their control and ensure that the quality and progress of their work meets the project requirements
- be resilient and resourceful in order to complete the job and get it done as quickly as possible (without impacting quality)
- be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data
- maintain a professional working relationship with all staff at all times
- provide assistance and support to other staff
- seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit the contributions of others
- maintain and improve technical competence and to undertake tasks only if qualified by training or experience, or after disclosure of pertinent limitations
- improve the operating work environment. This includes identification of areas of improvement but more importantly the offering of solutions and actions
- embrace the Siemens values; Quality First - Safety Always, Customer Focus, Competitiveness, Innovation and People Excellence
We're Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We're excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.What else do you need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone's lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That's why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what's right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITEDExperience Level:
not definedJob Type: