Colt Data Centre Services (DCS) offers flexible and affordable colocation and IT infrastructure solutions. Our connectivity and colocation solutions allow our customers freedom to plan effectively for the growth of their business, knowing that their data centre strategy is future-proof. Head of DCIM Design
In today's world, great businesses must be secure, resilient, scalable and above all - connected.
At Colt Data Centre Services this is our business. Colt Data Centre Services offers flexible and affordable colocation and IT infrastructure solutions. Our connectivity and colocation solutions allow our customers freedom to plan effectively for the growth of their business, knowing that their data centre strategy is future-proof. We operate 29 state-of-the-art data centres across Europe and Asia Pacific, offering 24/7 security and local language support. We are connected to a further 530+ third party data centres across our network and are able to offer private links into the major public cloud providers.
As the only data centre provider in the world to secure the highest M&O certification by the Uptime Institute, our operational standards are recognised as industry-leading. Data centre services is offering a carrier neutral data centre setting and new commercial and operational solutions for our customers.
Colt Data Centre Services has over 20 years' experience in designing, building and operating energy-efficient, reliable data centres - hosting significant financial, media, corporate and cloud wholesale providers across the world.
We are at a critical turning point as we become an independently focused business and at the same time, supported with the strong backing and investment of Fidelity. We expand our footprint in Asia and Europe which enables us to invest and leverage our real estate and infrastructure to expand our current sites and open up new ones.
You'll be part of a dynamic, agile , forward thinking team of individuals that are looking to significantly grow the business.
This is an exciting time and a new beginning for Colt DCS.
You will manage and provide leadership and technical guidance to your direct engineering reports within the DCIM team globally. The DCIM Design and Engineering Team is a pool of highly technical Specialists in the Disciplines of Data Centre BMS and Automation, IT, Electronic Security and Commissioning.
You will report to the Global Head of Design & Engineering, part of the Major Builds Delivery Team in Colt DCS.
The DCIM Team main activities are:
• Ensuring DCIM Systems are effectively and efficiently designed to protect the data centre, capture power usage, calculate available capacity, and provide meaningful, timely alarms, notifications, and reports to end users.
• Configuring DCIM Systems applications in support of new data centre deployments, new data requirements, and data centre retrofits.
• Implementing corporate policies procedures, and standards to maximize the performance of systems, applications, and networks.
Your role will require to support in identifying suitable external consultants and contractors and to assist in the preparation of their contracts; you will play a leading role in the delivery of the DCIM design, managing external engineering consultants and contractors to meet programme, design and other requirements for the successful delivery of the project and to achieve cost effective and resilient infrastructures.
You will apply a commercial approach in all aspects of the work including design, engineering and construction, working with other engineering functions, Procurement and Delivery to ensure that the procurement of all items is conducted on the most cost effective basis. This procurement should, where possible, cover not just initial acquisition costs but total cost of ownership costs.
You will also actively participate and manage the team workload to ensure that all project documentation internal governance approvals are completed in a detailed and timely fashion.
The DCIM team is required to analyse design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data and to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
Your role will require to coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities, but also to advise and maintain standards for monitoring design and construction programme, cost control and project information systems to ensure successful project delivery.
The role will require the preparation of regular independent assessments of the DCIM integrity of data centres, including the possible identification and remediation of Single Points of Failure, together with the development and production of reporting systems to monitor the engineering efficiency and cost effectiveness of different mechanical and electrical systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or related field, or equivalent relevant work experience
• 15 years of experience in the Data Centres industry
• Fluent in English; preferred other languages like French, German, Japanese.
• In-depth experience with HVAC systems and the application of BMS to these systems.
• Working knowledge of various BMS and EPMS as such as StruxureWare etc.
• Experience with configuring and operating SQL database systems.
• Experience performing commissioning, qualification & change control activities related to BMS including but not limited to HVAC, chiller plants, domestic and process water systems, building automation systems, etc.
• Experience with BAC-net, Modbus, TCP/IP configuration, SNMP communication protocols, Active Directory security and Microsoft Office tools.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Experienced Data Scientist and working experience with Niagara, FNT, JSON, MQTT and OBIX.
• Understanding and knowledge of other engineering disciplines such as MEP and Structures/Civils.
• Experienced in ASHRAE Testing and Commissioning Levels and Commissioning Planning of mission critical systems.
• Recent Data Centre design experience.
• Strong time management skills.
• Must be able to demonstrate initiative.
• Must have the ability to work accurately under pressure.
• Must be able to operate in an open management style and structure with an emphasis on team working and within a global matrix
• Substantial experience of working in the data centre and engineering industry.
• Working at Director level for design consultancy and contracting firms.
• Delivery of large capital expenditure projects with a high dependence on MEP.
• Excellent People Management Skills.
• Excellent understanding of Construction Contracts.
• Excellent understanding of Design Consultants appointments.
• Excellent working knowledge of Design Management processes.
• Ability to travel at short notice to visit project's sites or existing facilities across the globe.
• Excellent communication skills verbally and written. Our Values
Agility of a Start-Up
In this role you will demonstrate the Agility of a Start-Up by tracking of all major new technologies and design solutions that may have application to Colt's data centres, and then preparing and updating the DCIM Design and Fit Out guides for all new and existing data centres.
Collaborate to perform
In this role you will Collaborate to perform by ensuring that your team will support you in providing advice and technical assistance to other Engineering, Delivery & Commissioning teams during the Projects delivery phases, as well as the Sales Team during customers engagement initiatives or the Operations Team on all matters relating to engineering and design on live facilities.
You will participate in a culture of a teamwork and continuous improvement, leading by example, to work with all other functions in a proactive and energetic way to promote the Engineering & Delivery agenda.
In this role you will create value by identifying, evaluating and implementing plans to improve the power utilisation effectiveness of all data centres.
Step Up to Challenges
In this role you will Step Up to Challenges by delivering engineering support to ensure that Colt utilises optimal technologies and designs on the most cost effective (TCO) basis available in the market and at faster speed to market. What we offer:
Colt DCS is a growing business that is investing in its people. Our people are defined by their ability to make things happen and deliver on their promises. We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location.
In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt DCS recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
Who we are
- Pension and insurance options
- Access to a virtual business school for on-going learning
- Business mentoring
- Discounts with local hospitality and retail providers
- Flexible working and relaxed dress code
- Two days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities
Colt DCS has a vision to ''to be the most customer centric data centre provider''. We have over 20 years' experience in designing, building and operating energy-efficient, reliable data centres - hosting significant financial, media, corporate and cloud wholesale providers across the world.
We operate 29 state-of-the-art data centres across Europe and Asia Pacific, offering 24/7 security and local language support. We are connected to a further 530+ third party data centres across our network and are able to offer private links into the major public cloud providers.
Privately owned, Colt DCS is one of the most financially sound companies in its industry and able to provide the best customer experience at a competitive price.
For more information, please visit www.colt.net
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to making Colt an inclusive and supportive workplace