About the role
Within the Data & Analytics team we help Tesco, our customers and the communities where we operate to get the most value from data. We build and run Tesco's data platforms, we architect and engineer data onto these platforms, provide capabilities and tools to the analytics community across Tesco, and develop data products at scale.
As Head of Data Science Engineering within Data & Analytics you'll drive the technical direction of one of Tesco's most strategic technology areas. You'll work with our engineers, data scientists, product managers, systems engineers, and analytics professionals to help move us forward in our technical strategy whilst delivering valuable outcomes for our customers. You'll work within and across our Data Science team offering them architectural guidance and support as well as having the freedom to spend time looking ahead and proving out new approaches, technologies and tools. You'll drive us forward in how we run and operate Data Science at scale. You will be responsible for
You will need
- Defining and driving the development of our technical strategy for evolving our Data Science capabilities.
- Continuously improving our engineering practices across data science products to operate at pace and at scale.
- Hands-on delivery of strategic outcomes.
- Contributing to our platform strategy.
- Building globally, ensuring consistency in approach across all our locations.
- Inspiring the engineering teams to produce quality solutions.
- Contributing to building a team culture for continuous improvement and an environment where engineers want to work.
- Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
- Keeping your technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, processes, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Work across Tesco Technology to inform and influence architectural decisions, supporting wider initiatives and technology strategy.
Experience relevant for this job:
- Experience working in and across engineering teams in a leadership role.
- Track record of driving technical excellence and change.
- Experience working in a global team distributed across multiple locations.
- Very strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- ML engineering including feature engineering, versioning and packaging, model training and distribution.
- Strong experience working with distributed computing frameworks.
- Architecture of solutions to integrate Data Science products into client applications.
- Enterprise integration patterns, microservice architectures and event sourcing.
- Containerisation ecosystems and other resource, workflow and orchestration systems.
- Experience of automation, configuration management, multi-cloud and hybridisation, IAAS and PAAS.
Skills relevant for the job:
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
- Strategic thinking, with a demonstrable ability to see the big picture and articulate it in a way that drives action.
- Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers as the highest priority.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently, knowing your audience and making an impact.
- Team player who works collaboratively with other members of the team.
- Ability to influence technical teams and senior stakeholders.
Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.
In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards.
If that sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, please get in touch!