- Would you love tobe part of a team developing and releasing softwarethat creates compelling customer experiences?
- Are you intrigued by technology and what it can do (regardless of what you've studied)?
- Do you want to work for a company that prioritises wellbeing and will support you to achieve professional qualifications?
If so, a Technology Graduate career with us could be just what you're looking for.
As the UK's largest insurer, a FTSE 100 company and a global leader in our industry, our Technology teams are crucial to our success. We truly believe our Technology community is amongst the most talented and supportive anywhere. Without their skills and ideas, we wouldn't be the company we are today.
But we're not the kind of organisation that gets complacent. We want to keep investing in our technology, and more importantly, we want to keep investing in the people behind our technology.
That's why ourGraduatejobs are permanent from day one.Technology careers for diverseGraduates
New insights, perspectives and diversity of thought are all invaluable to us. Which is why you don't need to have studied IT at university to join us in Technology. We haveGraduatesthat have studied everything from Town Planning to Maths, from Computer Science to History, and they're all equally brilliant.
We have a real variety of roles across our technology teams. As long as you're curious and passionate about technology, then wecan teach you the rest - you'll have a structured training programme and a support network to help you develop.
OurSoftware Development Graduate Pathway
isanopportunitytodevelopsoftwareandtheway we do itthat will underpin ourtechnologytransformation. We're committedto offering our customers the most secure, reliable and engaging experience when they interact with us online and you'll be central to that aim.
Our roles in this area include:
- Software Engineer(Bristol,Norwich or York)-Our Software Engineersdevelop softwarefora wide range ofour applications.Theywork to create new products and platforms as well asmaintainingand enhancingour existing applications.If you choose this route, youwill work collaboratively in small teams to build high quality solutions that meet our customers' needs: whether delivering technology change internally to meet the wider needs of the organisation or producing innovative digital tech like the award winning "My Aviva" customer portal
- Release Engineer(Bristol, Norwich, Perth, York)-Our Release Engineers collaborate with developers, testers and system administrators across various stages of the development lifecycle. They arefocussed in dealing with the technicalaspectsof getting a release from development to production;they are the ones thatkeep the continuous integration and continuous delivery conveyor belts moving!Theyare diligentatmakingsure version control is applied to the correct code sets in different environments and develop automated configuration tests
- DevOps Engineer(Norwich)- Our DevOps Engineers are responsible for developing and facilitating the improvement and optimisation of our software engineering practices and processes to speed up and automate the development, testing and release of our code to production. They don't settle for 'this is how we have always done it'; instead they are constantly looking for opportunities to improve and optimise how we use technology in our business and are laser focussed on providing industry leading cloud capability
Whatever role you go into, you'll be working on interesting and challenging initiatives alongside a community of highly skilled and experienced technology professionals who will be on hand to support and encourage you every step of the way. This is a brilliant learning environment - a place where everyone is welcome to share ideas, ask questions and seek out advice.Where you'll be based:
We offerSoftware DevelopmentGraduateroles in our Norwich, York, Bristol, Perth offices.Not all roles are available in every location so see above which can be based where.Flexible working has been engrained into our culture for a long time now. Post COVID-19, you can expect a blend of working in the office and some home working as applicable.About you
To join us as a Graduate, you'll:
- Already have a degree, in any subject, or you will be graduating this year
- Have at least five GCSEs or Scottish National 5s at A*-C or 9-4 grade (or equivalent), including English and Maths
- For theSoftware Engineer and DevOps rolesyou will also need coding experience - whether as a part of your studies or as an outside passion through self-learning. We'll ask you to complete an online code test as part of our selection processfor these roles
- ForRelease Engineerrolesyou don'tneed tohave coding experience, but a willingness to learnis essential
You should also be a confident communicator with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a love of learning and a commitment to continuallydeveloping yourself. And it goes without saying that we'll be looking to see that you have a genuine interest in technology.What will you get for this role?
The recruitment process:
- Starting salary from £25,000 (depending on your skills, experience and qualifications)
- A permanent role from right from the outset - you'll be taught and developed from the ground up by tackling real responsibilities rather than undertaking rotations
- Professional qualifications aligned to your role
- A caring, welcoming culture complete with wellbeing programmes, flexible working and an in-built support network, including buddies and mentors - many of whom have been with us for years
- A holiday allowance of 29 days, plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to five additional days
- An annual performance-related bonus and pay review
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Plus plenty more
We'll assess your strengths as well as looking at how well you connect with our values throughout the process.
The process itself involves:
- Making an online application - this will include answering a short questionnaire and attaching your CV
- If you pass the initial CV screen, you'll be sent some online tests
- Pass these, and you'll have a telephone interview with us
- Pass that and we'll send you and online coding test(for Software or DevOps Engineers only)
- And if you do well in these, there's an assessment day
We will assess you for all roles within the Pathway you apply for and we would encourage you to be as flexible as possible about any role preferences you indicate in your application. We will take these into account when making any final recruitment decisions but cannot guarantee your role preference.
We are looking at a September start date for all roles.Proud to be diverse
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Just send us an email once you've applied stating that you have a disclosed disability and we'll make sure we interview you.
We'd love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniela a call on 0121 234 7660 or send an email to Daniela.firstname.lastname@example.org
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By 'minimum criteria' we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.