Applied Intelligence Laboratories (AI Labs) is the research and technology arm of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence business. In partnership with the other businesses and educational establishments with whom we work, we innovate and develop to transform aspiration and vision into engineered reality.
We provide research & development, consultancy, specialist manufacturing and technical services for Applied Intelligence and other BAE Systems businesses. Additionally, our expertise helps the UK MoD, US Department of Defence, European Defence Agency, UK Sport, universities and other leading innovation organisations to achieve their goals.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and hard-working person into the Antennas and Electromagnetics group at AI Labs based in Great Baddow, near Chelmsford, Essex.
The Antenna and Electromagnetics group undertakes research and development across the EW spectrum from near and far-field ranges for antenna characterisation from a few hundred MHz to millimetre wave frequencies. Our research includes the in the following areas;
- Novel antenna concepts
- Installed antenna performance
- Low Observable (LO) antenna design,
- Design of microwave devices,
- Analysis and consideration of antennas as part of systems
- Evaluation of Electromagnetic Compatibility and Hazard (EMC/EMH) problems.
- Prediction and measurement of the Radar Cross Section of civil and military vehicles and structures is undertaken, particularly in relation to LO antenna design.
The candidate does not need to have experience in these areas but have knowledge of the basic physics of optics and having a desire to learn is essential. The candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in many of these areas (and others across the business) if needed.
The Engineer role will involve supporting the delivery of innovative research projects to quality, time and budget while working within a team of scientific and engineering staff. Candidates will be expected to provide both technical input into programmes as they learn and support bidding activities and be willing to take an active role supporting the business in finding and securing future work. Appropriate training courses and on the job experience will be provided to develop skills and knowledge. The successful candidate would be expected to:
Qualifications / skills:
- Work within a team of multi-disciplined scientists and / or engineers to execute projects for customers. A large proportion of the projects undertaken will results in practical demonstrations at TRL 2 to 5 and operational system up to TRL 9
- Have the skills to work within a team of scientists and / or engineers to execute projects for customers
- Support the development of new business opportunities and timely generation of high quality, well planned and innovative bids with an acceptable level of risk
- Deliver elements of PV funded work that builds capability for exploitation in line with the AI Labs strategy
- Support the generation of patents and external publicity in scientific journals and / or the press
- Assist with the development of new business opportunities and support the timely generation of high quality, well planned and innovative bids with an acceptable level of risk
- Generate new ideas for internally funded work that builds capability for exploitation in line with the AI Labs strategy
- Engage with customers and AI Labs management, with the support of others.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- A 2:1 degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Physics; Mathematics; Electronic/Electrical Engineering; or a related discipline)
- A background in physics, electrical engineering or a related discipline is highly desirable, whist prior experience in antennas and RF, although beneficial, is not essential.
- Familiarity with the basic physics principles of electromagnetic is essential.
- A strong desire to learn is essential
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential
- Interest in understanding the impact of emerging technologies and how these can be applied
- Highly motivated with the ability to quickly digest and apply new concepts and develop novel solutions to challenging problems with help from others
- Ability to work with customers or other stakeholders to capture their requirements
- Able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others, be part of a team and respect the opinions of others
- Not be afraid to ask questions and ask for support when needed.
- Continually build and maintain friendly, reciprocal, and warm relationships with networks of people who may be able to assist in business winning and delivery
- Familiarity with general purpose IT systems
- Must be able to obtain a full SC clearance
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.