Our Geotechnical team is involved in some of the UK's most high profile, complex and stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of some of the UK's and indeed the world's most prestigious and challenging projects. Our current client portfolio includes Highways England, Transport for London, Local Authorities, the Environment Agency, Canal & Rivers Trust, Water Companies, Network Rail and selected Civil Engineering Contractors for whom we undertake the planning, design and supervision of geotechnical engineering solutions for a variety of schemes including, managed motorways, harbours, ports, water treatment plants, reservoirs, rail electrification, station upgrades and structures in a wide range of geological conditions.
We are now looking to recruit a Geotechnical Engineer who has well-rounded geotechnical design experience, to join our growing business based in Croydon.Duties & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Team Leader, you will be accountable for managing components of projects, working in collaboration with other design disciplines and providing technical inputs to projects. The role will involve building relationships with clients on projects, gaining experience in commercial aspects of projects together with developing your own skills, and those of the team, to ensure you all reach full potential.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the development and implementation of engineering solutions.
- Independently drive routine projects and non-routine tasks with guidance.
- Participating in the resolution of technical issues.
- Collaborating with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Providing technical input and support to project teams and championing quality and innovation.
- Ensuring compliance of produced deliverables, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies with project requirements.
- Gaining experience in commercial aspects of projects (contract, invoicing, debt management, client management etc) relating to projects for which responsible.
- Building relationships and liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the Client.
- Preparing geotechnical calculations, drawings, specifications, reports and other project documentation as required in line with company and client requirements as well as national standards and codes of practice.
- Assisting and participating in developing yourself and other team members.
- Gaining experience and complying with relevant H & S regulations and promoting a culture of awareness within the team.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line manager and Team Leader.
We are seeking candidates with the following credentials for this role:
Essential Experience & Competencies:
- Well-rounded geotechnical design including foundations (shallow foundations and piles), retaining walls and slope stability assessments.
- Growing (post-graduate) experience in most aspects of projects, including planning, supervising and designing, together with examples of applying standards and technical knowledge in projects.
- Earthworks design, specification and implementation.
- Good written communication skills and ability to prepare significant elements of technical reports.
- Ability to self-check and prepare accurate deliverables.
- Good verbal communication and motivational skills.
- Experience in ground investigation design and implementation.
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as VDISP/PDISP, WALLAP, SLIDE, REPUTE and SlopeW.
- Good motivational and people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues.
- Ability to work within large multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Knowledge and some experience of commercial aspects of projects.
- Team player, self-starter and problem solver with a "Can-do" attitude.
- Fully familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Flexible to travel in UK.
- Full and valid driving licence.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- BEng in Civil Engineering with a geotechnical bias
- MSc / MEng in Geotechnical Engineering or similar
Desirable Professional Qualifications:
- Currently progressing towards becoming a Chartered Engineer or Chartered
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.