Description We are now looking to recruit an Geotechnical Engineer who has well-rounded geotechnical design experience, to join our growing Geosciences business based in Guildford, working on a wide portfolio of schemes throughout the UK
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what's most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll see it's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It's a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world - and the world around them.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
Our Geotechnical team is involved in some of the UK's most high profile, complex and stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of some of the UK's and indeed the world's most prestigious and challenging projects. Our current client portfolio includes the Highways Agency, Transport for London, Local Authorities, the Environment Agency, Canal & Rivers Trust, Water Companies, Network Rail and selected Civil Engineering Contractors for whom we undertake the planning, design and supervision of geotechnical engineering solutions for an a raft of schemes including, managed motorways, harbours, ports, water treatment plants, reservoirs, rail electrification, station upgrades and structures across a wide range of geological conditions. Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Principal Engineer Team Leader, you will be accountable for managing components of projects, working in collaboration with other design disciplines and providing technical inputs to projects. The role will involve building relationships with clients on projects, gaining experience in commercial aspects of projects together with developing your own skills, and those of the team, to ensure you all reach your full potential.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Managing selected small projects or components of projects, taking responsibility for own resource and potentially resource allocation of others, managing subcontractors, quality assurance and client feedback and ensuring effective communication of any changes/modifications.
- Ability to carry out a range of project activities to support the development and implementation of engineering solutions, and make technical decisions within scope of role.
- Capability to independently drive routine projects and non-routine tasks with guidance.
- Participating in the resolution of technical issues.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Providing technical input to projects and technical advice to project team members.
- Ensuring compliance in the components of the project for which you have responsibility, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies.
- Good written communication skills and ability to prepare significant elements of technical reports.
- Building relationships with clients on projects.
- Gaining experience in commercial aspects of projects (contract, invoicing, debt management, client management etc) relating to projects for which responsible.
- Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the Client.
- Providing input to project team, leading by example to achieve sector goals and championing quality and innovation.
- Preparing geotechnical calculations, drawings, specifications, reports and other project documentation as required in line with company and client requirements as well as national standards and codes of practice.
- Assisting and participating in developing yourself and other team members to their full potential.
- Gaining experience of and being familiar and compliant with, relevant H & S regulations and promoting a culture of awareness within the team.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line manager
Qualifications Minimum Academic Qualifications:
Desirable Academic Qualifications:
- BEng in Civil Engineering with a geotechnical bias
- MSc/MEng in Geotechnical Engineering
- Currently progressing towards becoming a Chartered Engineer in a relevant field
- Well-rounded geotechnical design experience including foundations (shallow and piled), retaining walls and slope stability assessments.
- Growing (post graduate) experience in most aspects of projects, including planning, supervising and designing elements of a project, together with examples of applying standards and technical knowledge in projects.
- Experience in earthworks design, specification and implementation.
- Fully familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Experience in ground investigation design and implementation.
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as VDISP/PDISP, WALLAP, SLIDE, REPUTE and SlopeW.
- Good motivational and people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues.
- Some knowledge and experience of commercial aspects of projects.
- Excellent communication and motivational skills.
- Team player, self-starter and problem solver i.e. "Can-do" attitude.
- Flexible to travel in UK
- Ability to work within large multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Full and valid driving licence
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.