Ask Front End Developers what's on their mind, and the answer is: code. They make the two-dimensional multi-dimensional and really fun to experience. They are able to walk the line between code junkie and artist and make beautiful unions between form and function. The partnership Front End Developers enjoy with Back End Developers is a match made in cyber-heaven. In the infinite time and space of the web and cloud, server-side meets database and application engineering to create the digital innovations and interactive events we've come to expect and even crave.
Front-end developers are responsible for delivering web and mobile experiences that look and perform superbly across all platforms.
This position involves using the latest front-end web technologies to develop code alongside a team of developers (both front and back-end, with different platform specialties).
Collaboration and subject matter expertise: The ultimate goal is to work with other UCD specialists to create digital experiences that inform, inspire and delight, regardless of channel or audience type. The Front End Developer will also work closely with UX Consultants, Technical Architects and client-side staff to interpret user requirements and create appropriate solutions that deliver tangible results.
The front-end developer facilitates dialogue between internal and external clients and teams, and communicates technical information, functionality, and limitations to non-technical teams.
This role works closely with both external clients and internal, cross-function
- Write pure, standards-compliant code
- Work closely with web and mobile designers and translate their designs into websites, apps, and interactive experiences
- Test, debug, and build code that works across multiple browsers and digital platforms
- Optimise UI for mobile devices and small-scale screens
- Have extensive knowledge of WML, W3C, and WAP standards
- Design and produce native mobile apps
- Develop database-driven applications
- Ensure cross-platform usability across smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices
- Use external APIs to generate quality applications
- Exhibit a deep passion for refined, simple design and creating products with high supportability and extensibility
- Possess knowledge of Photoshop and other creative tools
- Have a good knowledge of both waterfall and agile development approaches.
- A good understanding of design and user experience principles
- Relevant degree or Masters, in a related Engineering or Software discipline
- Experience of dealing with cross-browser compatibility requirements
- Understanding of mobile development best practices (e.g. responsive design, graceful degradation etc.)
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team and learn from colleagues
- Effective verbal and written skills
- Awareness of mobile technologies: iOS, Android, Windows Phone an advantage
- Experience with at least one web application framework e.g Angular, React, Ember, Backbone etc.
- A good understanding of SEO and Web Analytics
- Data visualisation with Canvas or SVG
- Work as a senior front end Developer within a team of coders (BAE and/or client) occasionally taking on a lead role, own specific work areas and coach others when needed.
- Review front end coding requirements. Provide feedback on front end coding standards, accessibility and other technical standards
- Liaise with back end coders to design end-to-end technical solutions
- Take ownership of one or more areas of work including planning, identifying risks and regular reports to the project manager. On very small engagements, they may be expected to assume the duties of a PM if one is not provided.
- Apply BAE standard UCD approaches as well as broader BAE methodologies on client engagements with assistance / direction from senior management, and takes the lead in specific areas.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- Manage and lead a team of front end Developers (BAE and/or client) working across a number of work streams, and provide direction, task management and objectives setting/management.
- Manage the Risks and Issues arising on the Project and communicate as necessary to the correct authority. Also manage the ongoing management of these issues and risks to ensure they are resolved correctly to the client's satisfaction without adding additional risk to the BAE delivery team from a commercial or contractual point of view by ensuring solutions are signed off by both internal BAE technical architects and the client..
- Ability to lead the client engagement for all areas of front end coding activity setting clear goals, client expectations and manage the UX vision to ensure it is progressive yet achievable within project, budgetary and technology constraints.
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.