The Applied Intelligence business of BAE Systems delivers solutions which help to protect and enhance the connected world. Our solutions combine large scale data exploitation, 'intelligence-grade' security and complex services and solutions integration. We operate in four key domains of expertise: Cyber Security, Financial Crime prevention, Communications Intelligence and Digital Transformation.
Within the Communications Intelligence domain, the Wireless group provides consultancy-led engineering services to national security and defence customers.
Within the Cyber Security domain, the Cross Domain team is responsible for the development of world leading hardware based network security appliances operating at gigabit speeds.
Solving our clients' problems often requires us to produce novel high-performance solutions, comprising of cutting-edge software and hardware technologies.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as software developers in one of our customer-facing project teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work and so this job spec should be read as a guide; training will be provided to support strong applicants in areas of inexperience
What you will be doing...(Role Duties and Responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- High performance wireless or network security application design/development in C++ and related languages.
- Developing and deploying software which typically includes low level development (eg real-time software, drivers, embedded software etc.) and requires an understanding of the underlying hardware systems.
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing business development and consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What we are looking for...(Skills and Experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background in Electronic or Software Engineering, Physics or Mathematics (typically with a 2:1 or 1st class degree)
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless or network security technology, and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality software
- Understanding of low-level computing concepts
- 1+ year experience of C++ development.
- Understanding of radio communication systems and concepts
- Understanding of network security principles and concepts
- Range of other development skills, including one or more of the following: embedded software (C), Java.
- Proven record of successful project delivery
Occasional travel may be required in this role to visit customer sites for demonstrations, installations, handovers or reviews.
An SC level security clearance is required for this role, and candidates should already have, or be capable of obtaining UK SC clearance.About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.