BBC Monitoring (BBCM) provides news and information based on our monitoring of open source media from over 150 countries in more than 100 languages and across platforms. It is a centre of expertise and important part of the BBC's newsgathering operation with journalists based in the UK and international bureaux. Our extensive operation enables us to provide insightful and reliable coverage of political, economic, security and media news. Our round -the-clock monitoring of TV, radio, press, digital media and news agencies is also provided to commercial clients and government partners.
You can read more about us here https://monitoring.bbc.co.uk/
This is a key leadership role within the BBC Monitoring (BBCM) business, in which you will provide editorial, strategic and creative leadership. Ultimately ensuring the output is of the highest quality and distinctiveness across all platforms.
You will be responsible for devising and implementing strategies for raising the profile of our output and expertise across the BBC and externally - surfacing the highly valued journalism within all teams. This will include accountability for the BBC's important external relationships, including Her Majesty's Government, overseeing the delivery of improvement and innovation across all users.
An important focus of your role will be the provision of editorial leadership support to the Innovation team and its director - working with colleagues to further develop BBCMs digital capacity including the adaptation of new tools and technology where appropriate.
You will also support the Business Development director with the ability to interact with all three user groups in equal measure, along with engagement with the commercial market for media monitoring
You will share strategic responsibility with the Managing Editor for the training and performance of editorial staff, including assistant editors, editorial leads, senior digital journalists, journalists and researchers, and the continuous professional development of these teams.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experienced senior editorial leader who can demonstrate knowledge of key world events and news that can drive quality and distinctiveness in all output.
- Experienced senior stakeholder manager with external and internal partners - with experience of working with government departments and in a commercial market.
- Demonstrable experience or strong interest in international affairs and media. Including an understanding of BBC News' needs and strategic ambitions and how BBCM can help fulfil those requirements.
- Understanding of the external partnership and commercial environment BBCM operates within, in particular the market for media monitoring.
- Leadership skills, particularly in relation to change management.
- Demonstrable ability to work with staff based in several locations and time zones together with the ability to understand and adapt to variable legal requirements.
- Demonstrable creativity, imagination and an extensive range of managerial skills covering, in particular, staff recruitment and development, performance management, change management, communications and negotiating, project management and management of virtual teams.
- Demonstrable understanding of the use and potential of digital media technologies and information technology.
- You must be prepared to undertake travel in the UK and abroad.
Base: London, New Broadcasting House.
Intended will be held: August (dates tbc)
We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here