Make an impact on our business and the business world.
Our Employment Lawyers understand that our people are at the heart of American Express' business. They closely collaborate with colleagues across Human Resources and the broader business to support the organizational goals that continue to develop our talent base, whilst ensuring our employees are treated fairly and appropriately.
This role is a great opportunity for an individual to get involved in a broad range employment law matters across UK and European markets. The office location can be flexible as AMEX is well positioned to support this role in a number of European markets.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic advice and collaboration regarding employment law decisions to the business and Human Resources
- Advising generally in relation to individual and collective non-contentious employment issues and ensuring good practice legal compliance
- Compensation and benefits expertise to include regulatory provision compliance
- Pensions experience an advantage
- Providing support on the implementation of legal developments and initiatives and review of related materials, drafting and negotiation of policies and procedures especially as part of an international or global company
- Owning, developing, leading and delivering in-house training sessions to HR
- Managing litigation by instructing and liaising with outside counsel and business owners and ensure appropriate reporting and reserves in accordance with applicable accounting policies
- Forging strong relationships with internal clients and external counsel
- Working closely with Market and Line of Business HR teams to support the completion of their goals
Aswell as being flexible on location, we would also welcome applications from candidates looking for part time or flexible working hours.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To be successful in the role you will possess the following core skills and experience:
- Fully qualified Lawyer, with demonstrable expertise and experience across a wide area of employment and benefits law
- In-house legal experience either in an in-house role or through secondments during your tenure with a professional firm essential and strongly preferred
- A second European language a strong advantage
- Excellent drafting skills, with demonstrable expertise and experience of drafting and negotiating termination agreements
- Solid experience of a broad range of employment law matters including but not limited to reorganization and employee consultation, TUPE, employee share plans
- Pensions experience would be desirable
- Strong communication skills
You will also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Excellent relationship management and people skills. Keen to collaborate throughout the organisation - a team player. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships with in the GCO and with clients
- Ability to provide firm guidance on complex and sensitive issues with the appropriate balance of commercial risk
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and excellent analytical skills with due attention to detail
- Able to think on feet, multitask and prioritise
- The confidence and gravitas to advise the senior management and influence individuals within the organisation. A confident presenter
- The ability to recognise and manage challenge from internal clients
- Ability to respond to business issues with workable solutions often under critical time pressure
- Enthusiasm to get involved in new areas/jurisdictions
- Prepared to take the lead with regards to making appropriate recommendations to senior and middle management
Why American Express?
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don't make a difference without it.
Don't live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on [email protected]