To help achieve our objective of equipping Defence with a smaller, more efficient and better-quality estate we are seeking a motivated and suitably qualified Senior Surveyor to join our established Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT).
As a customer focused and experienced property professional you will advise on and deliver challenging and varied accommodation-related programmes, services and subject matter expert surveying advice across all customers Post Location
This position that can be worked from either DIO Andover or RAF Wyton . Please state your location preference
DIO adopt a smarter working policy: The post holder would be based out of the main office location but has the flexibility to work out of other DIO Offices. All employees are provided with IT equipment to facilitate smarter working.ResponsibilitiesMain Responsibilities
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT WITHIN THE ESTATES
- Manage their resources/team in accordance with the DIO Values
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the DIO Values
- Provide leadership for the team/section and/or function
- Support and develop team members and assist line managers in delivering departmental goals
- Ensure compliance with mandatory requirements e.g. H&S training
- Promote strong working relationships both within the team and with other teams across DIO and MoD
- Support the assessment of options for the provision of new SFA/SLA to meet the requirements of DIO/Defence Estate Optimisation Programmes and other Military funded projects, balancing competing demands and dependencies
- Business Case development and approvals linked to investment and value for money appraisals
- Overseeing local planning, design and procurement workload
- Procuring specialist market advice as required
- Identifying opportunities for enhancing value within the MOD Estate in relation to the provision of accommodation
- Review and assess progress against programmes, ensuring continued alignment with wider DIO/Military infrastructure programmes and strategic objectives.
- Delivery of accommodation optimisation projects, outputs and advice to all customers including via in-house Team (and Industry Partner(s) as required)
- Liaise across the Estates and other Divisions to enable delivery of the optimum accommodation solution
SUBJECT NATTER EXPERT (SME) SUPPORT TO DIO/DEO/Military TLBs
- Interpret customer requirements; challenging, supporting and developing as appropriate
- Providing advice on the advantages/disadvantages of alternative courses of action including cost implications
- Support the delivery of timely and accurate SME input, advice and support to parliamentary, FOI and secretariat business
- Provide stakeholder management and analysis of activities for allocated responsibilities and stakeholders.
- Work closely with stakeholders both within and outside of MOD, including Local Authorities
- Responsible for the compliant storage of all relevant data, reports and records
- Undertake/support activity in relation to performance management
- Undertake/support activity in relation to continuous improvement Travel Requirements
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport. About our Team
The DIO is the MoD-s expert adviser and enabler on infrastructure matters. It is tasked with equipping Defence with a significantly smaller more efficient, better quality estate.
Estates are the in-house real estate team within DIO advising our customers on current and future?infrastructure?needs, we acquire, manage, safeguard and dispose of the Defence?real estate.
Our unique customer knowledge and insight of the Defence Estate enables our in-house team of chartered surveyors, town planners, registered valuers and technical staff to provide in-depth advice, adding value to our customers delivery programmes across England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Overseas. This includes but is not limited to: property advice, safeguarding, byelaws, rationalisation programmes, acquisitions, disposals, lease management, accommodation programmes, commercialisation initiatives, rating, valuation programmes and the management of the tenanted estate.
Estates has four delivery teams, Acquisitions & Disposals (A&D) - delivering the Acquisitions and Disposals Programme, Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT) providing strategic accommodation advice and support, Land Management Services (LMS) - providing a comprehensive land, estate and property management service and Safeguarding - protecting specific assets and operational capabilities.
Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT)
The Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT) as a sub branch of the Estates Division is accountable and responsible for the strategy for delivering new Service Family Accommodation and Single Living Accommodation in support of Defence Estate Optimisation and other Military funded programmes and projects, taking account of the optimal provision of existing accommodation, in accordance with the DIO Business Plan and to support Military Capability. The Team provides and/or oversees residential planning; market housing assessments; procurement and development funding, and delivery expertise, working as part of the wider DIO Estates organisation. Delivery is via in-house service delivery teams with support from Industry Partners where appropriate.Licences
A relevant Estate Surveying degree or equivalent qualificationMemberships
Full Membership of an appropriate estates professional body (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - MRICS/FRICS or equivalentBehaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession Competency Framework - Professional/Technical Expertise - Practitioner Level
- Government Property Profession Competency Framework - Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements - Practitioner Level
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive pension scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years- service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen-s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO Allowance
This post offers a Market Skills Allowance of;
Location - -3,000.00 OR
MRICS/FRICS Qualified - -5,000.00
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances. Employment Hours
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.Things you need to knowSecurity
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
you will be assessed against the following:
Experience in all aspects of residential planning and development:
- Site evaluation for residential development.
- Residential property and land valuations - freehold and leasehold.
- Planning application process
- Residential acquisition and development procurement
- Business Case development, financial management and investment appraisals
- Management of external specialist consultants/ technical advisors
- Communication skills
Government Property Profession Competency Framework
- Professional/Technical Expertise (Practitioner Level)
- Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements (Practitioner Level
you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
o Communicating and Influencing
o Working Together
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing 6th July 2020
Interviews will take place at DIO Andover on W/C: 13th July. Due to the current situation these interviews may be conducted via telephone or Skype.
A minimum of 2 full working days- notice will be provided for interviews. We endeavor to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
o Government Property Profession Competency Framework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Nationality requirements
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.