Do you have what it takes to be part of our Gold Standard security service?
MGS holds the National Security Inspectorate Gold Standard and is passionate about delivering great things for its customers and workforce. It also has Customer Service Excellence accreditation and holds the Committed to Equality Gold Standard.
In the MGS, a guard is known as a Civilian Security Officer 5 (CSO5). A Supervisor is known as a Civilian Security Officer 4 (CSO4). They are managed by an Operations Manager who may be responsible for staff on a single site or a group of sites.
Security Officers are responsible for providing, or supervising the provision of, an overt unarmed security presence. They will be responsible for delivery of the service to the highest standards in accordance with current MOD, DIO/MGS and Establishments policies, processes and instructions and site Post Instructions.
This post is a shift working post (including night working as applicable).
This is a Fixed-term Appointment as a DIO - Security Officer - Shift. Your responsibilities will be as described in this job advert. This post will therefore begin on your appointment and end 24 months after that date. You should be aware that when your Fixed-term Appointment at MOD comes to an end, arrangements will be made in line with the FTA policy.
If you are a permanent MoD civil servant and are found successful for an advertised Fixed-term Appointment (FTA) you should move into the post under a Temporary Transfer (for up to a maximum of 3 years). At the end of the posting you will return to your previous MoD Business area. If this posting is at a higher grade, your promotion will be temporary, and you will return to your substantive grade at the end of the Temporary Transfer. If a Temporary Transfer cannot be agreed between all parties then a transfer on an FTA contract is possible, read the FTA and Change of Work Location in the UK policy for further information.
If you are transferring to MoD from another government department (OGD) you should join the MoD on an inward loan. At the end of the loan you will return to your home (OGD) department. If a loan cannot be agreed between all parties then a transfer on an FTA contract is possible, read the FTA policy for further information.Responsibilities
The key duties of a guard (CSO5) are as follows. Please note that these duties can vary from site to site.
- Controlling vehicular and pedestrian access and exit to/from site by confirming bona fides
- Issue of passes using site IT systems or SISYS where installed
- Reporting of environmental issues
- Issue and receipt of keys
- Patrolling on foot and in a vehicle
- Searching of vehicles, baggage, personnel, buildings and open areas
- Escorting visitors
- Traffic management
- Checking identity on site (ad hoc)
- Writing reports on breaches of security or defects and maintaining daily logs
- Referral of complaints
- Reporting MGS infrastructure defects
- Dealing with demonstrators and intruders as directed by those holding operational control
- Safeguarding classified information and material
- Cooperating with other security providers
- Liaising with emergency services and invoking emergency procedures
- Operating and monitoring security systems; CCTV and alarms etc
- Operating and communicating effectively over the telephone and/or radio
- Reporting safety hazards and accidents in accordance with current instructions
- Carrying out, if required, initial action at the scene of any incident
- Other tasks commensurate with the grade
Desirable Experience & Skills
A background, qualification or demonstrable interest in the delivery of site security and/or customer service will be an advantage.
Where close area working arrangements are in place staff may be required to attend other sites within their travel to work area (one hour from their home) on a detached duty basis.
Some supervisor roles may cover more than one site and require routine travel using official vehicles. About our Team
MGS is part of DIO which plays a vital role in supporting Defence by leading and managing the delivery of what the Armed Forces need to live, work, train and deploy on operations. Under the Future DIO Transformation Programme, DIO will become the MOD-s professional estate services business and realise our organisational vision of providing a better estate, a better service and a better business. See more on Defence Infrastructure Organisation - GOV.UK Licences
Full UK Manual Driving LicenceBehaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Managing a Quality Service
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people, they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- High quality functional training
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years- service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen-s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
20% Shift Rostering, 4% Flexible Rostering.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts. Employment Hours
The post advertised is for 42 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.Things you need to knowSecurity
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .Medical
Successful candidates will be expected to have a medical.Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Ability and Experience.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
you will be assessed against the following:
- Behaviours: Leadership and Managing a Quality Service
- Experience: Job History; Previous Skills & Personal Statement
- Ability: Civil Service Judgment Test
you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
- Behaviours: Communicating & Influencing and Working Together
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing 13th July 2020
Interviews will take place via SKYPE/Telephone on W/C: 20th July 2020
We endeavour to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
All applicants will be required to undertake a Civil Service Judgement Test (CSJT).
MGS applicants are required to attend a medical appointment to undertake a colour perception eye test, operational staff at RAF Flying Stations, and Royal Navy Dockyards are also required to undertake a hearing test.
Please find the attached MGS Brochure:
1. MGS - Building for the Future Guarding for the Present
For help and support with your application check out
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Nationality requirements
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.