Our aim is to establish our reputation as the leading provider of top quality homes and first class customer service in the UK housing sector and to compete for market share with the established residential developers. We want to challenge and change public perception of new homes being inferior to older properties, by delivering a product which surpasses buildings of the past in terms of quality, efficiency and comfort. We are also committed to following a purchasing process that removes the stress and anxiety associated with moving home and one where customer satisfaction is embedded into all aspects of our business, supported by guarantees from a leading UK brand synonymous with honesty and trust. Our vision is, that by creating first class Communities, we will become the residential developer of choice in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Job Duties
Housing is a major growth opportunity for the Legal & General Group and is a high profile initiative supported by the Board executive.
The role is within Legal & General Capital's Housing business, specifically for their Strategic Land & Major Projects team which focuses on adding value through land, planning and infrastructure, undertaking a master developer role on large-scale residential-led schemes.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Development Manager to manage and co-ordinate the Commercial and Design/Planning activities for complex major projects within the Business Unit, having responsibility to manage the business plan delivery of serviced land parcels and site wide infrastructure on identified major projects.
The role holder will lead on value creation from acquisition, through the planning and infrastructure delivery process to serviced land sales, embedding the L&G social values and excellence in placemaking in the project development.
- To agree with Head of Land & Planning overarching master development strategy and business plan for each project and once agreed, be responsible for delivering the agreed outcomes to create best in class new communities.
- Control of the financial model associated with the project, to be continuously updated to ensure the financial viability, cashflow management and monitor progress against KPI's.
- Negotiate legal documentation with our partners and ensure compliance throughout the development. Legal documents will include land assembly, option exercise construction, development management agreements and JV agreements.
- Agreeing site wide branding strategy and estate management pursuant to each project.
- Co-ordinate public relations matters and stakeholder management associated with the project.
- Ensuring all Group processes and procedures are adhered to throughout the development process, reporting and seeking approvals in line with internal governance.
- Management of the design & planning process to achieve all planning and statutory consents together with the inhouse technical team. Ensure compliance with planning conditions and s.106.
- Management of the sales strategy of serviced land to L&G subsidiaries and third parties.
- Liaise where necessary with other developers to ensure best interests are represented and protected in consortium scenarios.
- Explore all value engineering opportunities to achieve best value from the development.
- Ensure all risks and opportunities are continuously and rigorously investigated and accurately costed, and ensure appraisals are robust and current. Maintaining risk registers.
- To interface with the Commercial and Technical teams on procurement strategy and co-ordination of site start process for Infrastructure contractors, including earthworks strategy and all specialist contractors.
- Invite fee quotations, analyse quotations against budgets and appoint chosen consultants.
- Management of external consultants to ensure each development is optimised and delivered on programme and within budget.
- Ensure that all design information is received, reviewed, coordinated and distributed on time and is within budget.
- Assist in the evaluation and appraisal of new major development opportunities and to provide information required to purchase land.
- Prepare and maintain programmes and documents for the monitoring of progress and updating the business unit.
- Co-ordinate and manage project meetings with consultants and other departments in a timely and efficient manner, ensuring all relevant action points are noted and recorded.
- An experienced Development Manager with a successful track record in managing complex non-standard residential developments through the critical elements of the development cycle.
- Capable of creating coherent development plans.
- Ability to create and manage programmes, in particular Critical Path.
- Strong commercial orientation supported by financial modelling and budget control, able to extract maximum value from each project.
- Capable of conceptualising projects and managing delivery of the key stages.
- A track record in leading and motivating the work of multi-disciplinary teams of internal and external professionals.
- Excellent leadership, communication and project management skills.
- Pro-active style and drive, coupled with a real commitment to consensus and team work.
- An ability to prioritise and delegate as appropriate, to ensure all aspects of the job are completed to standard and on time.
- Ideally holding a recognised degree or appropriate professional qualification.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, 10% car allowance, life assurance, family private medical insurance, 25 days' holiday, performance related bonuses, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
Please contact Stacie Burnett, Resourcing Lead - Stacie.Burnett@landg.com for further information.