Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed - today and into tomorrow.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do - the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology - we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Following an upsurge in our exciting workload going into 2020 the Tunnels team is looking to bolster our tunnelling design and analysis capabilities and are seeking tunnel design engineers to be based in our London Office. Working on a range projects throughout the UK and beyond you will be part of a vibrant Tunnels and Ground Engineering Team that is leading the way in geotechnical / structural analysis and design innovation. Part of the wider Water and Environment Operating Unit, the Tunnels team is working cross-sector on some of the UK's most exciting infrastructure projects from HS2, to Lower Thames Crossing to Tideway to Heathrow Expansion to Hinkley Point C and would love you to join us. About the opportunity
Vacancies have been identified across multiple projects with design teams in need of tunnel design support. Reporting to either internal clients or seconded out to external client oranisations, you will be part of a growing team which has an emphasis on technical excellence and personal growth. About you
An innovative engineer looking to develop technical and management skills and willing to tackle any challenge, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following: Technical competencies
- A range of technical and some managerial capabilities in either bored tunnel design, cut & cover design, stations and shafts in soft ground or rock conditions
- Knowledge of different construction methods and effects on design. Structural design of RC and steel sections
- Possessing problem solving & analysis skills, candidates should be able to select and develop methods for solutions to standard and non-standard problems
- Candidates shall be computer literate in MS Office package (or similar) and relevant discipline software such as Plaxis with 3D numerical modelling capability being an advantage
- Knowledge of relevant European codes and standards
- Ability to input into Risk Assessments and Specifications
The minimum qualifications are:
- Inter-personal and negotiation skills are essential, with the ability to understand and present
- A high degree of oral and written communication skills is required; ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear and lucid way to all levels
- Excellent report writing skills
- Candidates should be self motivated and able to work under own initiative
- A team player but with an ability to work independently when required
- A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
- Candidates will have an B Eng (Hons) Degree in Civil Engineering (essential) and /or a M Eng / Masters in Tunnelling / Geotechnical / Civil Engineering. (preferred)
- Candidates will be Chartered with the ICE or an equivalent organisation or well on their way
- A key attribute of this person will be the ability to communicate. You will continue building on our global culture of caring fostering a workplace where we value the safety, positive mental health, inclusion and belonging of all our employees.
This is a position in our London office. Travel around the UK is to be expected, overseas assignments will be possible. Why Jacobs?
We're invested in you and your success. Our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. By supporting one another and through our culture of caring, we all succeed. The biggest questions spark our curious minds. We clear the way for inventive thinking and exploration, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. We redefine what's possible. There's something that drives everyone - and we want you to keep evolving your career, discover unexpected opportunities and ensure you can deliver on tomorrow.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero'
by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM
(Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall
. We are also Disability Confident Committed
; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours' contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks,
inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.