Design•Engineer Reporting to
Principal Design•Engineer Location
UKPN Services Reference Number
62747 Employment Period
Permanent Contract Type
Services PMSNF CiP / Bonus
3% Starting Salary
£48,807 - Plus benefits and bonus Closing Date
25/10/2021 All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :•
Annual leave 25 days
Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme•
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme. JOB PURPOSE:
This role reports to the Principal Engineer. The successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, delivering design technical excellence across UKPN Services contracts portfolio that will place UK Power Networks Services in the top tier for design and build of private assets on safety, customer service and efficiency.
The Design Engineer will be responsibility for the successful delivery of designs. They will ensure that UKPN Services produce high quality design solutions that comply with relevant legislation, client and UKPN Services standards.
The job holder will provide technical liaison with suppliers, and clients for the creation of new business and the successful delivery of projects. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Typical accountabilities for the Design Engineer will include:
- Producing designs for clients across the UKPN Services business that deliver demonstrable Good Industry Practice
- Providing technical input to the team and into UKPN Services bids
- Responsible for ensuring that design solutions are robust to meet client specifications and enable accurate tender submissions to be developed
- Assess cost/benefit trade-off of technical solution and support the technical decision making processes
- Identify areas for technological advancement whilst maintaining excellent engineering standards
Annual Works Costs: Projects in the value of £100k to £50m.• Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
Health and Safety Requirements
- Degree level or equivalent in engineering or science
- Working towards achieving Chartership
- Membership of a professional body such as the IET
- Knowledge of Power distribution, Electrification systems
- Knowledge of SCADA, and Communication systems
- Basic knowledge of project management
Health & Safety Responsibilities
- Ensure all Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental requirements are considered.
- Ensure safe working methods and systems are followed in the design
- Accept personal responsibility to meet and fulfil all UKPNS Health and Safety requirements.
- Creating a safe working environment for all staff and contractors supporting the business.
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask! We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.