The continued success of the BBC online depends on our ability to distribute high quality, cost effective digital audio and video over the Internet.
The OTG Media Analytics team develops and operates services that provide near real-time operational views on client device consumption of content, as well as those that measure the effectiveness of our in-house CDN, BIDI, compared against third party CDNs.
As a data engineer in this team, you'll contribute your technical skills and expertise as part of a motivated group of software engineers, designing and implementing resilient and performant solutions for these services.
The insights generated by these services will drive strategic and operational decisions that will improve audience experience and maintain cost effectiveness for BBC Sounds and iPlayer.
- Developing and maintaining the BBC audio/video distribution analytics software services.
- Participating in the on-call rota for the software systems the team supports. This will be once every several weeks, depending on team size.
- Contributing to the design and architecture of the aforementioned systems.
- Employing software engineering and development best practices.
- Pairing with and mentoring other developers to share knowledge and practices.
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate would ideally have:
- Extensive practical experience of collecting, cleaning, enriching and querying large data sets using tools such as Hive and Spark.
- Industry experience with streaming technologies such as Apache Flink or Google Dataflow.
- Implemented high performance and/or high throughput software systems in Java and/or Python.
- A strong command of SQL.
- Deep familiarity with AWS infrastructure including Kinesis, Lambda, Elastic MapReduce, CloudWatch and S3.
- Practical experience with statistical techniques and methods such as regression analysis and distributions.
- Awareness of industry best practice in data warehousing and management for large volumes of structured/unstructured data.
- Proven ability to visualise complex data using tools such as dygraphs, d3 or Tableau.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
Contract type: Continuing
Location: London , White City We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here