Do you love data?
Are you passionate about putting the customer first?
Would you thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment, empowered to innovate?
If so, we are looking for top Data Engineering talent to be part of our incredible journey as we build a world-class Customer Science team in London.
We believe that everything is better when we put the customer first and Data Science helps us to do that on a massive scale. We use advanced analytical techniques and rich data assets to create actionable insights, models and tools that support Aviva's strategic priorities. The Data Engineering function is a critical element within Customer Science - creating robust data pipelines, delivering optimised, trustworthy data and owning deployment.
Here in the UK we have crafted a purpose-built office in London's trendy tech hub, Hoxton Square - a buzzing, start-up environment with top talent from a broad range of industries. We work in agile, collaborative, cross-functional teams, with a real passion for customer-centric thinking.Duties & Responsibilities
You will be aligned to the Personalisation Workstream (PW) within Customer Science. The PW team are responsible for developing and productionising data products that drive personalised customer experience at scale.
As a Data Engineer, you will also;
- Empower Customer Science by owning optimisation, deployment and end-to-end pipelines
- Create production-grade code, documentation and monitoring
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify and drive opportunities with new data, technology and processes
- Develop a deep understanding of Aviva's data estate
- Support Customer Science with analytics support
Skills & Experience Required
- Identify opportunities to improve our existing data engineering processes and engage with the right stakeholders to implement change
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant mathematical, engineering or programming-oriented subject - e.g. Computer Science OR have equivalent demonstrable knowledge and professional experience
- Highly numerate with good working knowledge in statistics, machine learning, analytics or similar
- Able to communicate complex technical concepts to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Strong programming expertise in SQL and Python (PySpark or Scala would be a plus)
- Strong working knowledge of Git-based code version control and CI/CD principles (Jenkins experience a plus)
- Experience of working with big datasets (e.g. clickstream) and building data pipelines using Spark
The following experience would be advantageous but is not essential:
What will you get for this role?
- Experience working within complex data estates
- Experience of productionising Machine Learning applications and good understanding of the logistics involved
- Experience of working with Dataiku Data Science studio - our main tool we use to query data and build our data products
- Experience of working with -data-related services in AWS
Working at Aviva
- Competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (Some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
At Aviva, we're people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take responsibility, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We always 'Care More'. It's our thing. We're all about our people - that's you - so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we're very open to that. In fact, we don't advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it's up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job
. Once you've applied, please send us a separate email
stating that you have a disclosed disability
and we'll make sure we interview you.
We'd love it if you could submit your application online
. If you require an alternative method
of applying, please give Danielle Stallard-Trueman a call on +44 (0) 7384 804694 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010
*. By 'minimum criteria'
we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.