Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Department Profile
The lawyers and other professionals of Legal & Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse a client dispute. They preserve the Firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the Firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the Firm's businesses. Background on Position
We are looking to hire a midlevel lawyer to provide internal client coverage of the Corporate Real Estate group within the Corporate Services business unit at Morgan Stanley, focusing on all legal matters (primarily leasing and leasing-related transactions) in connection with the Firm's 100 office locations in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region (EMEA). The role will, as required, include additional leasing coverage in the Asia Pacific region (APAC). Primary Responsibilities
Reporting to the Global Head of Corporate Real Estate Legal and working closely with the Head of International Real Estate Legal, we are looking for candidates with enthusiasm and strong initiative, who can manage a diverse and complex workload, with responsibility for the following:
Qualifications Skills required
- Provide transactional and advisory legal support in connection with the Firm's owned/operated/leased real estate portfolio in the EMEA and APAC regions
- Assist Corporate Real Estate with the structuring, negotiation and documentation of real estate leasing transactions
- Negotiate, draft, review, comment upon, and approve real estate legal documents (including new leases, lease amendments, subleases, letters of intent, work letters, licences for alterations)
- Assist with the real estate components of Firm corporate transactions (e.g., spinoffs, company purchases, Resolution Planning, tenant legal entity issues)
- Advise the Corporate Real Estate business team with respect to regulatory issues and Firm policies which impact the real estate portfolio
- Instruct external counsel in connection with material real estate transactions
- 6-8 years PQE in transactional real estate (tenant-side leasing experience a plus)
- A midlevel associate at a top tier law firm or real estate specialist law firm; or, an in-house counsel at a leading financial institution or other global company
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- First rate legal drafting and negotiation skills
- Proven client-service skills
- Ability to become a "trusted advisor"
- Keen analytical skills and the ability to identify and resolve issues in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible, proactive, organized, detail-orientated, with an ability to handle pressure and tight deadlines
- Be a self-starter and work with limited supervision
- Be personable, patient and tactful and be comfortable working with a range of clients
- Have the ability to manage expectations
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.