We are currently recruiting for a Senior Associate to work in the Consumer Investments (CI) Sector Team, which is London-based team, but this role able to be based in either our London or Edinburgh locations. The CI Sector Team is based within Investment Platforms & SIPP Operators Department within the Supervision CI Directorate. It supports the CI Directorate's work across 5 portfolios:
- Financial Advisers
- Investment Platforms
- Investment-based Crowdfunders
- SIPP Operators
- Wealth managers & stockbrokers
These portfolios are supervised by teams in Edinburgh and London and include over 6,000 firms and over 72,000 individual financial advisers. These firms are involved in the provision and distribution of retail investment products, long-term savings products, and pension and retirement income products.
The CI Sector Team's core purpose is to shape and support effective portfolio and sector supervision by the CI Directorate. A key part of its work is to identify emerging issues that could cause harm to consumers and markets and feed these into risk processes and supervisory decision making.
This is an exciting time to join the CI Sector Team: The Board has made tackling harms in the consumer investments sector one of the FCA's top business priorities, whilst the current economic environment presents some complex and important challenges for our portfolios, as customers are exposed to the economic impacts of the pandemic and recovery.
This role is offer as a 12 months fixed term contract. What does this job involve?
What will I get from the role?
- Supporting the delivery of CI Directorate's work to respond to emerging risks, including risks from the current pandemic and economic downturn.
- Ensuring work within our 5 portfolio workplans is effectively governed with clear reporting of how work is addressing the risks within our portfolios.
- Working closely with the other CI Supervision teams e.g. CI Data Science Unit (DSU), to analyse and clearly present portfolio intelligence.
- Delivering high-quality risk identification and analysis across our sectors and portfolios. This involves: gathering internal and external intelligence; analysing and applying judgement to identify key conduct risks and mitigation activities; and presenting recommendations on these to divisional management to enable effective decision-making and prioritisation.
- Co-ordinating and drafting briefings and speeches for senior management.
- Helping plan and maintain oversight of workstreams within the team as part of regular risk reporting
- Providing technical support to supervisors and divisional management.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with key internal stakeholders.
About you Minimum criteria
- An opportunity to take on a wide-ranging and interesting role which helps to drive the FCA's supervisory activity on consumer investments, and to be at the forefront of changes in the UK financial services industry.
- A unique understanding of the sector and the opportunity to develop deep technical knowledge.
- Exposure to a wide range of senior colleagues within the FCA.
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we will offer an interview to disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidate's CV. Exceptions may apply if due to the volume of applications we are not able to interview all eligible candidates who qualify under the scheme.
- Analytical Experience;to quickly and clearly draw out key implications from a broad range of information and apply judgement to assess risks to consumers and markets.
- Experience building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- A demonstrated ability to fill gaps in your understanding and get up to speed on new issues quickly.
- An independent thinker with a risk-based approach to decision-making, including the ability to reach sound and timely judgements with a clear rationale.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to influence and negotiate, especially when delivering challenging messages.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to work at pace and manage competing priorities
- Competent Microsoft office skills e.g. Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Existing experience or knowledge of one or more of the 5 portfolios of firms covered by the CI Sector Team (see background section). This could include understanding the main business models, the key firms, and the key conduct risks.
- Project management skills of planning, oversight and delivery
- Understanding of the FCA's Handbook and approach to regulation.
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers
The Consumer Investments directorate is central to the FCA's mission, ensuring consumers are able to make effective investment decisions. Supporting and protecting consumers in this is of growing and critical importance to the UK economy and to good consumer outcomes. Our work directly impacts the standard of living that will be enjoyed by millions of people in their later lives.The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.Useful Information
Please note - Applications must be submitted through our online portal. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.
- The job family for this role is Senior Associate REG C
- The salary range is approximately £46,000 - £60,000, plus a competitive flexible benefits package.
- This role can be based in Edinburgh or London
- This role is offer as a 12 months fixed term contract
- Applications for this role close on 26th September 2021
- If you are interested learning more about the role please contact Tim Dent via [email protected]